Building strength at new heights by activating the body with our state-of-the-art rock climbing wall.
Reach for the Sky
Bringing the South Dakota iconic experience right into our own Wellness Center, our rock climbing wall is an attraction and staple point on our campus.
This 38-foot indoor climbing wall has 4,300 hold combinations and nine rope stations. But, don't sweat it, this climbing wall is available at any level of experience you might posses.
Climbing Wall Spring Hours
|Sunday||5 - 9 p.m.|
|Monday||5 - 9 p.m.
|Tuesday||5 - 10 p.m.
|Wednesday||5 - 9 p.m.|
|Thursday||5 - 9 p.m.
|Friday||5 - 8 p.m.|
- 4 years and under: Cannot use the rock wall.
- 5 - 13 years: Allowed to climb with a parent or guardian present in the climbing wall pit with payment of a guest pass or valid ID of parent or guardian.
- 14 years and up: Allowed to climb with a valid ID and payment of a guest pass.
Climbing wall parties are popular at the Wellness Center. Due to the limited number of certified staff, we try and schedule parties an hour before or after our climbing wall hours. We do not reserve climbing wall parties after the Wellness Center is closed for the day. All participants must be at least five years of age to climb.
The Wellness Center is happy to rent out the climbing wall, studios, MAC court and Basketball/Volleyball Courts. Renting facilities is easy and affordable! Just follow the steps below:
- Complete Rental Request Form.
- Climbing Wall - $40/hour
- Studio/Courts - $20/hour
- Review Wellness Center Policies (see Wellness Center Rules and Regulations).
- Ensure all individuals have either an Adult Waiver or Minor Waiver.
- Complete payment of rental at least five days prior to event
NOTE: Members may rent the courts and studios for free for up to three hours per week with proper completed forms.
A valid University ID card or registered membership is required to enter. The Wellness Center is able to facilitate an array of activities such as: basketball, volleyball, flag football, racquetball, tennis, soccer, running/jogging, weight lifting, cardio machines, swimming, aerobics, yoga and spinning.
The following rules are in place for these activities:
- Anyone under 14 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Guest passes on a per-visit basis are available for $7 with an ID and signed waiver.
- No sandals, open-toed shoes or boots are allowed in any activity area.
- Shirts are required at all times. Chest and buttocks must be covered at all times.
- Cell phones are not allowed in open view in the men's or women's locker rooms.
- No spitting on floors, walls, water fountains, restroom sinks, etc.
- Headphones must be used with all personal radios and other electronic listening devices.
- The possession, use and/or distribution of alcoholic beverages, drugs, tobacco products and dangerous weapons are not allowed in any facility.
- Bicycles must be stored in the racks provided outside the facilities (please lock your bike).
- The Wellness Center is not responsible for any personal items left unattended and/or unsecured in any facility. Personal items may be locked in day-use lockers that are available in both the men's and women's locker rooms.
- Outside groups or individuals will be prohibited from promoting or marketing a product or service that has not been endorsed by the University of South Dakota or the USD Wellness Center.
The following age guidelines will be followed in regards to facility usage:
Ages 5 & Up
- Utilize the rock wall with parent in pit
Ages 6 & Up
- Utilize the track with supervision
- Use the courts with supervision
- Use the DakotaDome Pool with supervision
- Attend Group Fitness classes if accompanied by a parent/legal guardian
- Use cardio and weight equipment
Failure to abide by these policies and/or regulations posted in facilities or requests made by any campus recreation employee can result in ejection or suspension from the building and program privileges.
Certain activities are prohibited in the Wellness Center during recreational hours. The list below provides examples; however, the Wellness Center office reserves the right to ban any activity they deem unsafe.
- No baseball/softball activities will be allowed
- No activity of any kind is allowed on the concourse
- No flying of electric or battery powered model planes
- No organized boxing or related mixed martial art activities
- No wrestling
- No golf
- No skateboards
- No rollerblades (exception for MAC)
- Personal Training is not allowed by non-USD Wellness Center personnel
- We strongly discourage any outside equipment inside the Wellness Center for recreational purposes
- No balloons of any size
- Animals are not permitted in facility, except trained service animals