Your Mental Health Is a Priority
The college years can be filled with new and enriching experiences, but they can also present challenges which may interfere with your academic progress and emotional well-being.
We all have mental health, and we can all benefit from talking to a professional. USD offers several resources to help you navigate challenges and make the most of your years in college.
If you would like to request an appointment at the Student Counseling Center, please click request appointment below. Click the "Appointment Request" tab and we will follow up with you once we receive your information. If you are in Crisis or this is an emergency please call our office at 605-658-3580. If this is after our working hours (8 a.m - 5 p.m) please call UPD 605-658-6199 and they will connect you with the on-call counselor or dial 911.
The Student Counseling Center is now offering online sign-up for same-day appointments. Click the link below to sign up for an appointment with a counselor at the Cook House. The link will take you to a page that will list today's available appointments. From there you will sign up for an available time and receive a confirmation email with more information regarding your appointment. Please remember these are a first come, first serve appointments. If for some reason you would need to cancel your appointment there is a link to do so in the confirmation email.
The Student Counseling Center has a variety of groups we offer throughout the semester. If you are interested in any of the below groups, please follow the link to sign up for a group intake appointment. Once you sign up for your appointment the group leader will reach out via email with more information regarding group start dates and location.
- Anxiety Toolbox: This group is a 3 week long, structured group which focuses on increasing understanding of anxiety, teaching students coping skills, and helping them form a plan for handling anxiety provoking situations and decreasing intensity of symptoms going forward. This group runs on Wednesdays from 4-5.
- Getting Unstuck: A fast-paced, 3 session forum intended to help increase your understanding and knowledge about depression. The goal is to provide you with some skills to recognize and manage symptoms you may be experiencing. This group runs on Thursdays from 4-5.
- Rebound: Athlete Injury Support Group - Learning to bounce back stronger from sports injuries. Rebound will be designed as a supportive environment for athletes who are recovering from injuries, returning back from injuries, or are experiencing life changes due to a recent or past injury. The group will be a safe space to discuss the complexities of these experiences and also develop strategies to effectively cope. Information in the group will be expected to remain confidential.
If the Student Counseling Center is unable to find a an appointment that fits your availability we might refer you to another clinic on campus. There are currently two clinics on campus that serve students as well as members of the community. Both of these clinics are training clinics which means 3rd and 4th year students will be meeting with you while being supervised by a licensed professional.
These clinics also offer appointments after 5 p.m. If either of these clinics would be a good fit for you, you can follow the button below and self-refer to one of these clinics. Once we receive your completed paperwork we will forward the completed referral to the designated clinic, and they will follow up via phone or email with a confirmed appointment time.
Psychological Services Center (PSC)
- Currently offering in person and telehealth appointments
- Temporarily located in Noteboom 117
Psychological Services Center
South Dakota Noteboom 117
University of South Dakota
414 E. Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069
Counseling & School Psychological Services Center (CSPSC)
- Currently offering in person appointments (no masks required)
- Located in Delzell 210
Counseling & School Psychological Services Center
Delzell Education Center Room 210
414 E. Clark St.
Vermillion, SD 57069
Mental Health Resources at Your Fingertips
You have free unlimited access to over 150 brief, effective, educational sessions covering over 50 common topics and skills related to mental health, wellness, and substance use issues. The Therapy Assistance Online (TAO) platform includes interactive sessions, mindfulness exercises and practice tools to help you care for yourself and meet your goals.
Departments & Facilities
The Student Counseling Center provides a wide range of confidential services to currently enrolled USD students at no cost. We offer individual and group counseling, as well as self-help tools and general health information, to help students take care of their mental health and access wellness during their time at USD.
Sanford Vermillion Medical Center provides discounted and free services for enrolled USD students.