Strategic Theme: Academic Excellence
Ensure that we offer an unsurpassed education, grounded in the Liberal Arts, for all our students.
Goal 1: Improve long-term outcomes and success of USD students as it relates to Liberal Arts
- Big Steps
- Identify types and sources of data associated with success in the Liberal Arts
- Collect and analyze data on student success as it relates to Liberal Arts
- Communicate student success stories to internal and external stakeholders
- Develop plan for improving student outcomes as it relates to Liberal Arts
- Resources needed
- State support
- Assistant Provost
- Assistant Vice President for Institutional Research, Planning and Assessment
- Dissemination of data associated with outcomes and success of students as it relates to Liberal Arts.
- Programmatic changes based on the data
- Cyclical assessment of student success as it relates to the Liberal Arts
Goal 2: Align faculty teaching, research and service with the mission of the university.
- Big Steps
- Reevaluate USD’s Expectations of the Faculty documents at both the institutional and unit level to establish meaningful expectations for annual evaluations and the promotion and tenure process.
- Reevaluate USD’s Faculty Workload Policy documents to provide better guidance to faculty and their supervisors in the assignment of duties.
- Reconsider service loads by an audit of committee structure and membership.
- Develop structures for faculty advancement including
- Mentorship program
- Competitive fellows program with funding and training or retreat program
- Advocate for pre-tenure sabbatical and paid family leave
- Time and funding to research best practices
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Dean, School of Education
- Updated faculty expectations documents at the university and unit levels
- Revised workload policy documents in units across campus
- Increased faculty retention
- Disparities in service workload vs. service activities analyzed and addressed