Welcome to the University of South Dakota!
We know you have a lot of choices when it comes to selecting a new college, and we're excited you've chosen USD. Now that you've been accepted, there are just a few more steps to complete in order to confirm your enrollment at USD. Follow the steps listed below and keep track of your progress with this printable version of the Transfer New-Student Checklist.
Pick up your USD Account
After you submit your university housing deposit, you will be able to access your USD account - including your USD email. Once you pick up your account, you will have access to the myUSD portal which includes technology you will use as a USD student.
Install Duo Security on your USD Account
After you activate your USD account, it is important to protect it. Install Duo two-factor authentication on your USD account for another layer of online security to protect your personal information. Duo is mandatory for all USD students, faculty and staff.
Submit your University Housing Deposit/Apply for Housing
Your $100 university housing deposit reserves your spot. It provides you with your on-campus housing options and confirms any scholarship offers you receive from USD. Please contact the Office of Admissions to confirm your enrollment if you are requesting to live off campus. The 2022-2023 USD Housing Application is now available.
- Resident Students: Your deposit will be held by University Housing after the start of the semester. Deposit refunds are issued in accordance with the residence hall contract. Housing applications are completed online, and you will be notified when the housing application becomes available.
- Commuter Students: The housing deposit is not required for commuter students. Commuter students will need to contact the Office of Admissions at 605-658-6200 to guarantee enrollment.
NOTE: South Dakota Board of Regents Policy requires you to live on campus and enroll in a meal plan during the first two years immediately following your graduation from high school. Special permission to live off campus is generally granted to students living full time with parents or legal guardians, students enrolled primarily at off-campus locations and students with dependent children. Please see the complete SDBOR Housing & Meal Plans Policy 3:6 for information on policy exceptions and exemptions.
Housing Contract release applications received by University Housing prior to May 1 (Dec. 20 for spring contracts) will receive a full refund of their university housing deposit if approved. Contract release applications received on or after that date will forfeit the university housing deposit if approved.
All new, readmitted and transferred students are required to provide medically signed proof of TWO properly administered MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunizations OR immune titers for measles (rubeola), rubella and mumps. The immunization form must be completed before you can register for classes at USD. Read more about the mandatory immunization form.
Now that you've been admitted to USD, you'll receive information on attending one of our Transfer Registration Events. You'll have the option of choosing from various registration dates throughout the summer (for fall admission) or in January (for spring admission). Transfer Registration is a required half-day program where you will meet with your advisors, register for classes and learn about the campus and the many resources available to you.
Transfer Registration Information
File Your FAFSA
- You can file the FAFSA anytime after Oct. 1. Be sure to file your FAFSA by USD's priority deadline of April 1. List USD's code of 003474 on your FAFSA.
- Beginning mid-April, financial aid award letters will be available in your Student Portal. Review your financial aid award carefully before accepting your financial aid package. Please call the Financial Aid Office at 605-658-6250 with any questions. Additional information about accessing the Financial Aid Self-Service Portal and accepting your award can be found here.
A personal computer is important to your academic and communication needs at college. Some academic programs require specific laptops. Check out these tips for selecting and preparing your computer to take full advantage of the computing resources available to you at USD.
After You Register
- Check to make sure that all required material is received:
- Official high school transcripts
- Final official college transcripts
- Purchase books online through Charlie's Bookstore and Fan Shop
- Parking permits may be purchased online through the business office.
- Your bill will be available online at your SDePay account.
You will NOT receive a paper copy of your bill.
Once again, congratulations and welcome to the Coyote Family!