Coyote Business Consulting Group is a new student-centered initiative designed to help businesses survive and stay competitive in the state of South Dakota and throughout the region. The program will enable student-teams, with the guidance of faculty advisors, to help businesses solve a critical problem for their organization.
The economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has left businesses in uncharted territories and often struggling to stay afloat. In addition, college students are missing out on crucial opportunities to gain real-world experiences as their internships and summer jobs are getting delayed and cancelled. Coyote Business Consulting Group is intended to be mutually beneficial for both the students and the businesses. The consulting service will be offered at no charge to businesses and students will have the opportunity to receive academic credits, financial support, and real-world experience.
This program is available to all businesses, but a special emphasis will be placed on small businesses, as they are the backbone of South Dakota’s economy comprising nearly 60% of South Dakota’s workforce.
How to get your business involved in the program
- Businesses will need to complete a project proposal form outlining the scope of their project by Friday, May 15, 2020. Proposals may focus on any business need
(Examples - not a complete list: Marketing plans, e-commerce recommendations/solutions, product development cost life cycle analysis, target market analysis, human resource management plans, job descriptions, emergency preparedness plans, supply chain management strategies, financial strategies, survey development).
- A select number of projects will be chosen, and businesses will be notified of their acceptance into the program before Friday, May 29, 2020.
- Businesses will be paired with student consulting teams and faculty advisors.
- The projects should take 4-8 weeks and will be completed by the end of July 2020.
Thank you for your interest in Coyote Business Consulting Group. We are no longer accepting projects at this time. We hope to offer more opportunities in the future.
What to Expect
Coyote Business Consulting Group is designed to be beneficial to both the businesses and the students involved in the project. If your business’s project gets selected, here is what you can expect from the consulting group, as well as expectations for your business:
- If your project is selected, you’ll first be contacted by the faculty advisor or a member of the advisory council to ensure your project is appropriately scoped in a way that our students can fulfill the scope of work in the allotted time and with the appropriate skills.
- A project kick-off meeting will then be scheduled with you by the student consulting team, where they will walk through a number of questions to help them complete the project.
- The student-team will provide a list of requested materials or information that they need from you to begin working on the project as well as an anticipated timeline with milestones identified.
- Throughout the process you can expect regular check-ins from the student-team and occasional requests for additional information. In the event that expectations are not being met by the student-team or the business, the faculty advisor will get involved to ensure the project can stay on track.
- Final presentations will be scheduled as part of the overall project timeline and upon completion of the final presentation, the team will work to transition all materials back to the business.
If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Lemaster at Jennifer.M.Lemaster@usd.edu.