Quarantine/Isolation on Campus
We highly encourage all students, faculty and staff who test positive for COVID-19 to self-report to the USD Case Management Team by sending an email to COVID19@usd.edu. The USD Case Management Team will work with the Office of the Dean of Students to provide ongoing support for students’ personal, social and academic needs. If a student living on campus tests positive and chooses to remain on campus, the student will be placed in an isolation residence room until a trained medical professional provides either the student or the Case Management Team a release date from isolation/quarantine.
Services for Students Who Must Quarantine or Isolate
As part of efforts to mitigate the spread of illness in the community while maintaining our missions of education, service and research, the USD COVID-19 Case Management Team offers the following support services for those students who test positive for COVID-19, and for those contacts required to remain in quarantine.
- Isolation rooms have been set aside for residential students who test positive.
- Arrangements have been made to provide meals to those in isolation rooms.
- Instructors will provide opportunities, to the greatest extent possible, for students in isolation to continue their education remotely.
- Arrangements will be made to remain in regular contact with isolated students, both to assess their health and to provide additional support as may be necessary.
- Grocery delivery services are available to students; students in need of these services should send an email to DeanOfStudents@usd.edu so USD staff can coordinate delivery once the online order has been placed.
Faculty and staff who must quarantine or isolate can explore medical leave options. You may be eligible for Emergency Paid Sick Leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA).
Remote working and/or teaching options may be available; please reach out to HR@usd.edu for guidance. Employees who are well but who have a sick family member at home will also be supported by the Human Resources Team.
Should I Quarantine?
If you are wondering if you should quarantine, please consult USD’s Next Steps guide. In general, individuals who test positive for COVID-19 will be expected to isolate for up to 10 days. For guidance on how to successfully isolate, please refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Isolate If You Are Sick resource. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines suggest that individuals who have spent 15 minutes or longer within six feet of someone with COVID-19 should quarantine for 14 days following exposure. For more information, see the CDC’s When to Quarantine guide.
For a current count of those who are currently in quarantine or isolation on campus, please consult the USD COVID-19 Dashboard.