The Office for Diversity works to promote and advance Inclusive Excellence, the practice of embedding diversity and inclusiveness throughout all sectors of the University of South Dakota. Our work is guided by the University’s Diversity and Inclusiveness Statement and the principles of Inclusive Excellence. We adhere to a broad and comprehensive definition of diversity including gender identity, gender expression, race/ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, religion, disability, veteran’s status, first-generation status, nationality, citizenship, age and other identity dimensions that are integral to the USD community.
Our mantra is: "The relentless pursuit of excellence through diversity."
In order to advance and support the University of South Dakota’s pursuit of inclusive excellence via a commitment to a systematic, intentional, comprehensive, and holistic approach to diversity and inclusiveness, the Office for Diversity maintains the following goals:
- Provide leadership and coordination of inclusive excellence efforts;
- Serve as an advisor to executive, academic and program leadership;
- Provide training and professional development opportunities for faculty, staff and students;
- Assist in matters related to compliance and accreditation;
- Collaborate with university stakeholders for diversity and inclusiveness programming and events; and
- Assist in the recruitment, retention and success of diverse faculty, staff and students.