The administrative internship is designed to prepare students for assuming the role of a school administrator through completion of practical field-based experiences under the joint supervision of an on-site licensed school administrator and a USD internship supervisor. The administrative internship is structured to enable each student to develop and put into practice an individualized field-based experience that focuses primarily on PK-12 principal, superintendent, curriculum director or director of special education preparation.
Requirements and documentation for administrative internships in PK-12 principal, school district superintendent, curriculum director and special education director are outlined in the internship syllabus and course materials through the Division of Educational Leadership. Additionally:
- Students must have three years of teaching experience before applying for an internship.
- The administrative internship is four credits year-long, typically two credits in the fall and two credits in the spring. The internship course for PK-12 principals begins August 2, 2021. The District level superintendent, curriculum and Special Ed Director internships begin July 1, 2021.
- The internship requires 180 clock hours of activities that demonstrate competency in the national NELP standards and contact at the appropriate school or district setting under the direction of a site-supervisor and a USD internship supervisor.
- An e-portfolio is required and includes a time log, reflective journal of activities, supporting documentation, leadership shadowing experiences and NELP standards met during the internship.
- The culminating activity of the internship is an e-portfolio and PowerPoint review at which time the student meets online the USD internship supervisor and site-based supervisor to discuss the recently completed internship experiences.
All students must submit an application for the internship no later than June 22, 2021, to firstname.lastname@example.org at the Division of Educational Leadership and a copy to email@example.com, the USD Internship Director. Students must register online after your application is approved by Dr. Messick. You must enroll for two credits in the fall. An online orientation session is required for all internship participants. A zoom session attendance is required. Additional questions may be directed to Dr. Diana Messick, the USD Internship Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 605-370-8959.