The administrative internship is designed to prepare students for assuming the role of a school administrator through completion of practical field-based experiences under the joint supervision of an on-site licensed school administrator and a USD internship supervisor. The administrative internship is structured to enable each student to develop and put into practice an individualized field-based experience that focuses primarily on PK-12 principal, superintendent, curriculum director or director of special education preparation.
Requirements and documentation for administrative internships in PK-12 principal, school district superintendent, curriculum director and special education director are outlined in the internship syllabus and course materials through the Division of Educational Leadership. Additionally:
- Students must have three years of teaching experience before applying for an internship.
- The administrative internship is four credits year-long, typically two credits in the fall and two credits in the spring. The internship course for PK-12 principals, curriculum directors and special ed directors begins August 3, 2020. The superintendent internships begin July 1, 2020.
- The internship requires 180 clock hours of activities that demonstrate competency in the standards and contact at the appropriate school or district setting under the direction of a site-supervisor and a USD internship supervisor.
- An e-portfolio is required and includes a time log, reflective journal of activities, supporting documentation, leadership shadowing experiences and standards met during the internship.
- The culminating activity of the internship is an e-portfolio and PowerPoint review at which the student meets with online the USD internship supervisor and site-based supervisor to discuss the recently completed internship experiences.
All students must submit an application for the internship no later than June 22, 2020, to email@example.com at the Division of Educational Leadership and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org, the USD Internship Director. Students must register online after your application is approved by Diana Messick, Ed.D. You must enroll for two credits in the fall. An online internship orientation session is required for all internship participants. Additional questions may be directed to Diana Messick, the USD Internship Director at email@example.com or at 605-370-8959.