Amber Hansen holds a MFA in drawing and painting from the University of Kansas and a BFA in painting and printmaking from the University of South Dakota. Hansen actively exhibits in the mediums of film, drawing, and musical performance and has been the lead artist in many public murals located throughout the country. Hansen is the co-director and co-editor of a documentary film about creating community based murals in Middle America titled, "Called to Walls", that was released in the spring of 2016. www.calledtowalls.com. She is an active board member of Community Built Association and is a citizen artist and is an active member of the U. S. Department of Arts & Culture.
Community-based Art, Murals, Expanded Media, Social Practice, Painting & Drawing
Amber Hansen is a filmmaker, muralist, visual artist and musician creating socially engaged and community-based artwork throughout the Midwest. Establishing a dialogue between her formal education and the ethics of her rural upbringing, Hansen's work promotes the value of creative engagement for all ages while raising questions about the ethics of animal welfare and humans relationship with food.
- MFA, Painting & Drawing, University of Kansas, 2010
- BFA, Painting & Printmaking, The University of South Dakota, 2007
- Community Built Assocaition Conference, Dean's Travel Grant. (2020 - 2020)
- Vermillion Community Mural Project, Vermillin Area Community Foundation. (2019 - 2020)
- Vermillion Community Mural Project, Change Network through the Bush Foundation. (2018 - 2019)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Hansen, Amber. Pig Farm. Sikeston, MO: Acclaim Press, 2018.
Awards and Honors:
- Change Network, Bush Foundation & National Arst Strategies, 2018
- Education & Culture Travel Grant, Partners of the Americas, 2018
- Stillwell Awards, 2018
- College of Fine Art Travel Grant, The Deans Office, The Univeristy of South Dakota Art Depart, 2017
- Gastro-Vison, The Best in Food Art, Blog Art:21, 2012
- Kansas City Collection II, The Collectors Fund, 2012
- Rocket Grant, The Charlotte Street Foundation, KU Spencer Museum of Art and the Andy Warhol Foundation, 2011
- Award of Excellence for Historic Preservation Projects, Kansas Preservation Alliance, 2009
- Hansen, Amber. Vermillion Community Mural Project. Presented at the Vermillion Community Mural Project, USD Campus. (October 8, 2019)
- Hansen, Amber, Mollman, Sandra, BraveHeart, Keith, Lara-Ruiz, Javier. Community Activated Art. Presented at the RuralX Summit, Mitchell South Dakota. (June 27, 2018)
- Hansen, Amber. Called to Walls Screening and Panel Discussion. Presented at the Community Built Association Conference, Charleston, SC. (March 22, 2018)