SANFORD EDUCATION CAMPUS
Phone: (605) 323-9575
Dr. Amy Smith received her BSN from South Dakota State University in 1999, and her MSN from Walden University in 2007. She earned a PhD in Nursing from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in 2014. Her dissertation was entitled "The Lived Experience of Black African Nurses Educated Within the United States" and focused on increasing the diversity of the nursing workforce through the retention of black African students within nursing education programs. Dr. Smith's nursing experience includes working within the settings of community health, medical surgical, and obstetrical units. She has 10 years of experience teaching within clinical, residential, and online settings at both the AD and BSN levels, and is actively involved in the development and facilitation of online learning and evidence based practice within the RN-BSN program. In 2011 Amy attained the designation Certified Nurse Educator through the National League for Nursing.
Population Based Health, Rural Health, Research and Evidence Based Practice
The use of technology in nursing education, increasing nursing workforce diversity, and health promotion of populations.
- Ph D, Nursing , University of Nevada Las Vegas, 2014
- MS, Nursing Education, Walden University, 2007
- BSN, Nursing, South Dakota State University, 1998
Licensures and Certifications:
- RN, Nevada Board of Nursing
- RN, South Dakota Board of Nursing
- Certified Nurse Educator, National League for Nursing
- PHN, Minnesota Board of Nursing
- RN, Minnesota Board of Nursing
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Smith, Amy E., Smyer, Tish, and . Black African Nurses Educated Within the United States. Thorofare, NJ: Journal of Nursing Education.
Awards and Honors:
- Excellence in Scholarship Award Recipient, University of South Dakota Department of Nursing, 2014
- Nerud, Kimberly, Smith, Amy E.. An Integrative Review of Combined Infant and Maternal Factors that Predict Childhood Obesity. Presented at the MNRS 41st Annual Research Conference, Minneapolis MN. (April 6, 2017)
- Smith, Amy E.. The Lived Experience of Black African Nurses Educated Within the United States. Presented at the State of the Science Congress, Washington, D.C.. (September 19, 2014)
- Smith, Amy E.. Ethical Issues in Health Care Information Technologies. Presented at the Wisconsin-Minnesota AHDI Annual Regional Conference, La Crosse, Wisconsin. (October 1, 2011)