MODERN LANGUAGES AND LINGUISTICS
Robert L Slagle Hall 301B
Phone: (605) 677-3159
Linguistics, Phonetics and Phonology, Semantics, Lakota, Quechua, American Indian Languages, Language Structures, Language and Thought, Field Methods, Physics and Astronomy
Acoustic Phonetics, Phonology, and Language Documentation and Community Work (Lakota, Dakota, Wichita, and Arikara)
- Ph D, Linguistics, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2010
- MS, Physics, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1998
- BS, Physics, University of California, Los Angeles, 1995
- Teaching and Learning Grant - Lakota Language, Story Telling, and Cultural Event, Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). (2018 - 2019)
- Teaching and Learning Grant - Lakota Language, Story Telling, and Cultural Event, Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). (2017 - 2018)
- MLL Department and A&S Travel Grant. (2016 - 2016)
- A&S Travel Grant. (2014 - 2015)
- Documenting the Wichita Language in Music, Endangered Language Fund. (2008 - 2009)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Mirzayan, Armik. ?ina Sapa Wocekiye taeyanpaha [The Herald of the Black Robe's Church]. In American Indian Newspapers, edited by Lindsay Gulliver. Wiltshire: Adam Mathew Digital, 2018.
- Mirzayan, Armik, and Waci, Wanbdi. áxkUs wetí'At niinaakaáWI piirataápo'Iš - "Prairie Dog Went to School". Bloomington: The Language Conservancy, 2017.
- Mirzayan, Armik, and Waci, Wanbdi. Arikara Level 1 Textbook - šuxwaáko' saNIšíni'. Vol. 1. Bloomington, Indiana: MHA Nation and The Language Conservancy, 2016.
- Scarborough, Rebecca, Zellou, Georgia, Mirzayan, Armik, and Rood, David S.. Phonetic and Phonological Patterns of Nasality in Lakota Vowels. Edited by Amelia Arvaniti and Adrian P. Simpson, 289-309. Vol. 45. Cambridge University Press: Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 2015.
- Mirzayan, Armik, Laducer-Garrett, Florence, Goodall, Pansy, Meya, Wilhelm, and Manyakina, Yuliya. Arikara Vocab Builder. Online App Stores (Apple and Android), 2015.
- Mirzayan, Armik. A Preliminary Study of Same-Turn Self-Repair in Wichita. In Lessons from Documented Endangered Languages, edited by K. David Harrison, David S. Rood and Arienne Dwyer, 317-354. Vol. 78. Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2008.
Awards and Honors:
- Distinguished Faculty Award, USD Tiospaye Student Council, 2016
- Mirzayan, Armik. Lakota Phonology. Presented at the University of Washington Phonetics Lab Meeting, Seattle, WA. (December 7, 2018)
- Mirzayan, Armik. Polysynthesis and Noun Incorporation in Indigenous North American Languages. Presented at the Morphology and Syntax Workshop, Boulder, CO. (October 9, 2018)
- Mirzayan, Armik. A General Overview of Siouan Linguistics. Presented at the Dakota Language Symposium, Sisseton, SD. (June 13, 2016)
- Mirzayan, Armik, La Mattina, Nicco A.. Some Preliminaries to a Caddoan Linguistics. Presented at the 36th Siouan and Caddoan Languages Conference, Newkirk, Oklahoma. (May 20, 2016)
- Mirzayan, Armik, Kills Small, Jerome. On translating 'To be or not to be' into Lakota. Presented at the Shakespeare in South Dakota: a symposium exploring the states's Shakespearan past and prsent, Vermillion, SD. (March 19, 2016)
- Mirzayan, Armik. Acoustic Properties of Glottalization and Aspiration in Cuzco Quechua. Presented at the 50th Conference of the Southwest Council of Latin American Studies, New Orleans, LA. (February 25, 2016)
- Mirzayan, Armik, Boyle, John P., Kasak, Ryan, Lundquist, Sarah, Torres, Jonnia, Williams, Brittany. A Preliminary Study on Accentuation in Hidatsa. Presented at the Society for the Study of Indigenous Languages of America, Washington, D.C.. (January 10, 2016)
- Mirzayan, Armik. Morpho-Phonemically induced Pitch in Wichita Morphology. Presented at the 35th Siouan and Caddoan Languages Conference , Tunica-Biloxi Reservation, Marksville, LA. (June 14, 2015)
- Mirzayan, Armik. Tone in Wichita Morphology : An Acoustic Analysis at the Edges of Bound Morphemes. Presented at the 34th Siouan and Caddoan Languages Conference , University of Wisconsin, Madison. (May 25, 2014)
- Mirzayan, Armik. Pitch in Wichita Morphology, Phonology, and Phonetics. Presented at the 33rd Siouan and Caddoan Languages Conference , Sitting Bull College, Ft. Yates, ND. (June 13, 2013)
- Mirzayan, Armik. Lakota/Dakota Language Revitalization Processes, Prospects, and Challenges. Presented at the Language Meeting on Veteran's Day , Wagner, SD. (November 12, 2012)
- Mirzayan, Armik. Phonological Pitch Range Relations in Lakota. Presented at the High Desert Linguistic Society Conference, Albuquerque, NM. (November 1, 2012)
- Mirzayan, Armik, Ringersma, Jacquelijn. Wichita Lexicon in LEXUS. Presented at the RELISH, Nijmegen, The Netherlands. (August 5, 2010)
- Mirzayan, Armik. Pitch Accents and Phrase Accents in Lakota. Presented at the LabPhon 12, University of New Mexico. (July 9, 2010)