David C. Earnest, Ph.D., is the Odeen-Swanson Distinguished Professor and Chair of
the Department of Political Science. His research uses computational social science
to study how communities manage complex interactions between physical, natural, ecological,
technological and social systems. He has published findings in International Studies
Quarterly (2008) and has written about the epistemology of computational methods in
Complexity in World Politics (Neil Harrison, ed., SUNY Press, 2006). He is author
of Massively Parallel Globalization: Explorations in Self-Organization and World Politics
(SUNY Press, 2015); Old Nations, New Voters: Nationalism, Transnationalism and Democracy
in the Era of Global Migration (SUNY Press, 2008) and co-author of On the Cutting
Edge of Globalization (Rowman & Littlefield, 2005). He has also published in leading
journals including World Politics, Foreign Policy, International Interactions, and
Globalizations. He serves as the editor of the James N. Rosenau Series in Global Politics
(State University of New York Press).
International Political Economy, Globalization, Research Methods
Global Political Economy, Complex Systems, Computational Social Science, Agent-Based
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- McNab, Robert, Gainey, Randy, Vandecar-Burdin, Tancy, and Earnest, David. Improving Rural Broadband Access: The Impact of Broadband Access and Proposed Investments
in 5G Networks in South Dakota. Vol. 23529. Norfolk, VA: Social Science Research Center, Old Dominion University, 2018.
- Earnest, David. Complex Political Economy: Power, Wealth and Transformation in the Antrhopocene. San Francisco, CA: International Studies Association, 2018.
- Frydenlund, Erika, and Earnest, David. Emergence in Information Economies: An Agent-Based Modeling Perspective. In Emergent Behavior in Complex Systems Engineering: A Modeling and Simulation Approach, edited by Saurabh Mittal, Saokou Diallo, Andreas Tolk, 129-148. Wiley, 2018. (DOI: www.wiley.com/en-us/Emergent+Behavior+in+Complex+Systems+Engineering%3A+A+Modeling+and+Simulation+Approach-p-9781119378860)
- Frydenlund, Erika, Padilla, Jose J., and Earnest, David. A theoretical model of identity shift in protracted refugee situations. In Proceedings of the Agent-Directed Simulation Symposium, 11..
- Earnest, David, and Wilkinson, Ian F.. An agent based model of the evolution of supplier networks, 1-33. Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory, 2017.
- Vernon-Bido, Daniele, Frydenlund, Erika, Padilla, Jose J., and Earnest, David. Durable solutions and potential protraction: the syrian refugee case. In Proceedings of the 50th Annual Simulation Symposium, 19..
- Earnest, David, and Frydenlund, Erika. Flipping Coins and Coding Turtles. In Guide to Simulation-Based Disciplines: Advancing Our Computational Future, edited by Mittal, Saurabh; Durak, Umut; \"Oren, Tuncer, 237--259. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2017. (DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-61264-5_11)
- Earnest, David. Expanding the electorate: comparing the noncitizen voting practices of 25 democracies, 1-25. Vol. 16, Iss. 1. Journal of International Migration and Integration, 2015.
- Frydenlund, Erika, and Earnest, David. Harnessing the Knowledge of the Masses, 111. World Politics at the Edge of Chaos: Reflections on Complexity and Global Life, 2015.
- Earnest, David. Massively Parallel Globalization: Explorations in Self-organization and World Politics. SUNY Press, 2015.
- Earnest, David. The enfranchisement of resident aliens: variations and explanations, 861-883. Vol. 22, Iss. 5. Democratization, 2015.
- Earnest, David. The Gardener and the Craftsman. Vol. 31. World Politics at the Edge of Chaos: Reflections on Complexity and Global Life, 2015.
- Richman, Jesse T., Chattha, Gulshan A., and Earnest, David. Do non-citizens vote in US elections?, 149-157. Vol. 36. Electoral Studies, 2014.
- Earnest, David, and Fish, Jennifer N.. Visual Sociology in the Classroom: Using Imagery to Teach the Politics of Globalization, 248-262. Vol. 34, Iss. 3. politics, 2014.
- Earnest, David, Yetiv, Steve, and Carmel, Stephen M.. Contagion in the transpacific shipping network: International networks and vulnerability
interdependence, 571-596. Vol. 38, Iss. 5. International Interactions, 2012.
- Earnest, David, and Rosenau, J. Signifying Nothing?, 143-163. What complex systems theory can and cannot tell us about global politics, 2012.
- Earnest, David. Geographic Distribution of Disruptions in Weighted Complex Networks: An Agent-Based
Model of the US Air Transportation Network.. In AAAI Fall Symposium: Complex Adaptive Systems, 34-43..
- Frydenlund, Erika, and Earnest, David. mSafety: An ABM of Community Information-Sharing to Improve Public Safety, 120. Vol. 100. World, 2011.
- Earnest, David. Using Agent-Based Models to Understand the Surprising Complexity of Global Markets..
- Earnest, David. From Man, the State, and War to Vertices, Networks, and Change: Relational Ontologies
to Understand Complexity in Politics. Browser Download This Paper, 2009.
- Earnest, David. Growing a virtual insurgency: Using massively parallel gaming to simulate insurgent
behavior, 55-67. Vol. 6, Iss. 2. The Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, 2009.
- Earnest, David. Coordination in large numbers: An agent-based model of international negotiations, 363-382. Vol. 52, Iss. 2. International Studies Quarterly, 2008.
- Earnest, David. Old nations, new voters: nationalism, transnationalism, and democracy in the era of
global migration. Suny Press, 2008.
- Liebert, Karl D., Earnest, David, and Tolk, Andreas. Using GIS vector data to build virtual environments for agent based models. In Proceedings of the 2008 Spring simulation multiconference, 45-52..
- Earnest, David. From alien to elector: citizenship and belonging in the global city, 137-155. Vol. 4, Iss. 2. Globalizations, 2007.
- Earnest, David, Rosenau, James N., and Holsti, Ole R.. PREEMPTION, MULTILATERALISM AND GLOBALIZATION: AMERICAN ELITE ORIENTATIONS TOWARD
BUSH ADMINISTRATION FOREIGN POLICY..
- Earnest, David. Clocks, Not Dartboards: A Tale of Students, Statistics, and the Pedagogical Challenges
of Randomness, 525-531. Vol. 39, Iss. 3. PS: Political Science & Politics, 2006.
- Earnest, David. Neither citizen nor stranger: Why states enfranchise resident aliens, 242-275. Vol. 58, Iss. 2. World Politics, 2006.
- Earnest, David, and Rosenau, James N.. Signifying Nothing? What Complex Systems Can and Cannot Tell Us about Global Politics. Complexity in World Politics: Concepts and Methods of a New Paradigm, ed. Neil E.
Harrison. Albany: SUNY Press, 2006.
- Earnest, David. From Ghettos to the Ballot Box: Voting Rights for Noncitizens in Urban Elections.". In delivery at Annual Convention of the American Political Science Association, Washington,
- Earnest, David. Political Incorporation and Historical Institutionalism: A Comparison of the Netherlands,
Germany and Belgium. In paper delivered at the46th Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, 1-5..
- Earnest, David, and Arts, Batten. VOTING COM PLEXITY AND ELECTORAL OUTCOM ES: AN AGENT-BASED M ODEL OF CONDORCET SOCIAL
- Earnest, David. A Gray Christmas? The Impact of Global Aging on Transatlantic Economic Cooperation..
- Rosenau, James N., and Earnest, David. On the Cutting Edge of Globalization, Before and After 9/11. In annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco..
- Earnest, David. Voting rights for resident aliens: Nationalism, postnationalism and sovereignty in
an era of mass migration...
- Earnest, David. Noncitizen voting rights: A survey of an emerging democratic norm. In Paper delivered at the 2003 annual convention of the American Political Science Association,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August, 28-31..
- Earnest, David. Voting rights for resident aliens: A comparison of 25 democracies. In 2003 annual meeting of the Northeast Political Science Association and the International
Studies Association-Northeast. Disponível em: http://ww2. odu. edu/ dearnest/pdfs/Earnest_ISANE_2003.
- Earnest, David. Will no one rid me of this meddlesome state? Social inequality and the new social
contract. In Forty-second Annual Convention of the International Studies Association. Chicago,
- Earnest, David. In Full Retreat? Privatization of Defense Industries in Britain and France..
- Earnest, David. Mixed Signals and Crisis Bargaining: A Game Theoretic Analysis of Deterrence and Spiral
Theories of International Conflict..
- Earnest, David, and Rosenau, James N.. The spy who loved globalization, 88-90. Foreign Policy, 2000.
- Earnest, David. Peace Running Wild: Political Organization in a Global Environment, 929B964. Vol. 82, Iss. 5. Sociology, 1977.