Chair, Addiction Counseling and Prevention / Interim Chair, Social Work
DEAN OF HEALTH SCIENCES
Julian Hall 305
Phone: (605) 658-5945
Francis "Frank" Zavadil was recently appointed in January 2014 as the Chair for the Addiction Studies Program and previously served as an adjunct Instructor in this same program since 2010. Frank currently has over 30 years of combined counseling, clinical supervision and administrative experience in the substance abuse treatment field.
Ethics, Evidence based treatment approaches, counseling theories and the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) placement criteria.
Evidence based practices in the treatment of substance abuse and associated performance based measures related to treatment outcomes along with medication assisted treatment.
- MA, Educational/Psychology/Counseling, University of South Dakota, 1993
- BS, Addiction Studies, University of South Dakota, 1984
Licensures and Certifications:
- Licensed Addiction Counselor, South Dakota Board of Addiction & Prevention Professionals
- TeleECHO Hub-Opioid Response Training, Soouth Dakota Department of Social Services. Grant Role: Supporting. (2019 - 2020)
- TeleECHO Hub-Opioid Response Training, State of South Dakota, DSS. Grant Role: Supporting. (2019 - 2019)
- South Dakota Department of Health and the Opioid Abuse Task Force, South Dakota Department of Health. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2017 - 2017)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Korkow, John, Sevening, Diane, Zavadil, Francis, and Merrigan, Mary. Addiction Education: The Benefits of NASAC Accreditation The Department of Addiction Studies at the University of South Dakota. Edited by Jessica Gleason, 5. Vol. 5, Iss. 2. Washington, D.C.: NASAC Accreditation Website, 2018.
Awards and Honors:
- 35 Years of Service Award, University of South Dakota, 2018
- SDAAPP Distinguished Service Award, South Dakota Association of Addiction and Prevention Professionals, 2012
- Distinguished Service Award, The South Dakota Division of Alcohol & Drug Abuse, 2009
- Co-Recipient "Addiction Professional of the Yeaar" 2006, University of South Dakota, 2006
- Zavadil, Francis. Are You Addicted to the Internet. Presented at the Yankton Area Mental Wellness Conference , Yankton SD. (June 4, 2014)