Dean, School of Health Science
DEAN OF HEALTH SCIENCES
Phone: (605) 658-6500
Maternal Child Health/Quality and Safety
- MS, Nursing Education, South Dakota State University, 2007
- Ph D, Nutrition, South Dakota State University, 2007
- MS, Management, South Dakota State University, 2003
- BS, Nursing, American University of Beirut, 1982
Licensures and Certifications:
- Clinical Nurse Leader, National Certification Corportation
- TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- South Dakota Registered Nurse, South Dakota Board of Nursing
- Registered Nurse Certified in Neonatal Intensive Care by the National Certification Corporation (RN-NIC) , National Certification Corportation
- Cardiac Arrest Data, Department of Public Safety (DPS)-Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS). Grant Role: Principal. (2015 - 2016)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, Abou Samra, Haifa, Penisten, Linda, and Dieter, Carla. Nurse Educators Establish and Evaluate Community Coalition to Promote Statewide Advance Care Planning Though RE-AIM. Edited by Betty Rolling Ferrell, 305 - 311. Vol. 22, Iss. 4. Philadelphia, PA: Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 2020. (DOI: 10.1097/NJH.0000000000000662)
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Fuller, Max D., Pickthorn, Sean T., Abou Samra, Haifa, , and . Survival from Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest - Comparing Automated LUCAS-2 With Manual CPR Using Data Science. In South Dakota Medicine, edited by Keith Hansen, 172-177. Vol. 73, Iss. 4. South Dakota: South Dakota Medicine, 2020.
- Vittner, Dorthory, Butler, S, Smith, K, Bronwell, E, (Abou) Samra, Haifa, and McGrath, Jacqueline. Butler, S, Smith, K, Makris, N, Brownell, E, (Abou) Samra, H, McGrath, J. In Skin-to-skin contact activates oxytocin release and influences parent engagement of preterm infants.. Advance in Neonatal Care, 2018.
- Abou Samra, Haifa, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Seiber, Michaela, Picthorn, Sean, Fuller, Max, and Lowmiller-Imhoff, Kimberly. Using Data Science to Provide Preliminary Estimates of Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Rural South Dakota. South Dakota Medicine, 72-79. Vol. 71, Iss. 2. South Dakota: South Dakota Medicine, 2018.
- Deka, P., and Samra, H. A.. Estimates for Response Time (Chute Time) For South Dakota Emergency Medical Services.. South Dakota Emergency Medical Services, 2018.
- Nerud, Kimberly, and Abou Samra, Haifa. Make a Move Intervention to Reduce Childhood Obesity. Journal of School Nursing, 2016. (DOI: 10.1177/1059840516665217)
- Qin, Xiao, HE, Zhaoxiang, and Haifa, (Abou) Samra. Improving Rural Emergency Medical Services (EMS) through Transportation System Enhancements Phase II...
- Abou Samra, Haifa, Coffee, Lane J., and Cico, Stephen S.. Former Preterm Infant Management. In Atlas of Clinical Emergency Medicine. Iss. 1st Edition. Nerthlands: Wolters Kluwer, 2015.
- Abou Samra, Haifa, and Smith, Barbara. National Association of Neonatal Nurses Position Statement the Effects of staff Nurses' shift length and fatigue on patient safety. Edited by Barbara Hohmaier..
- Qin, Xiao, Zhaoxiang, He, and Abou Samra, Haifa. Needs assessment of the rural emergency medical services, 30-39. Vol. 2513. Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2015. (DOI: 10.3141/2513-04)
- Abou Samra, Haifa, Dutcher, Janet, McGrath, Jacqueline, Foster, Meghan, Klein, Linda, Djira, Gemechis, Hansen, Julie, and Wallenburg, Deborah. The effect of skin-to-skin holding on NICU stress in mothers of late-preterm infants: A randomized controlled trial. Advances in Neonatal Care, 2015.
- Abou Samra, Haifa, McGrath, Jacqueline, Fischer, Sheri, Schumacher, Bette, Avera Mckennan Hospital and University Health Center, janet, and Hansen, Julie. The NICU Parent Risk Evaluation and Engagement Model and Instrument PREEMI, 12. Journal of Obstetric, gyneologic & Neonatal Nursing (In Focus), 2015. (DOI: 10.1111/1552-6909.12535)
- McGrath, Jacqueline, Diallo, A. F., Paquette, R, and Abou Samra, Haifa. Integration of developmentally supportive and family-centered care interventions during the Golden hour. In The National Certification Corporation (NCC) handbook for care of the very low birth weight infant..
- Castillo, Linda, Navarro, R. L., Walker, J. E., Schwartz, S. J., Zamboanga, B. L., , , , , , and Caraway, Jean. Gender matters: The influence of acculturation and acculturative stress on Latino college student depressive symptomatology.. Journal of Latino/a Psychology..
Awards and Honors:
- Distinguished Service Award South Dakota Speech-Language-Hearing Association, South Dakota Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2016
- University of South Dakota School of Health Science Research Achievement Award, School of Health Sciences University of South Dakota, 2016
- University of South Dakota Nursing Excellence Award, University of South Dakota Nursing, 2015
- College of Nursing Distinguished Researcher Award, South Dakota State University College of Nursing, 2014
- Featured Member in the Spotlight, National Association of Neonatal Nurses, Advances in Neonatal Care, 2012
- Nominated for the Midwest Nursing Research Society Harriet H. Werley, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2010
- Nurse faculty Mentored Leadership Development, Sigma Theta Tau International, 2010
- Sherwood and Elizabeth University Young Faculty Award, South Dakota State University, 2009
- Governor's Award for Research Seed Grant, Governor of South Dakota, 2008
- Honor Society of Nursing sigma Theta Tau, Honor Society of Nursing sigma Theta Tau, 2008
- Young Investigator Travel Award,, American Society of Bone Mineral research, 2007
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 2002
- Florence Nightingale Award for Leadership and Academic Excellence, The American University Of Beirut, 1981
- Kozmenko, Val, Emma, Johnson Bye, John, Szarek, Gabie, Waite, Sabina, Kupershmidt, Haifa, (Abou) Samra. when is the best time to introduce interprofessional education in the health professionals curriculum?. Presented at the Delivering Evidence-Based Health Sciences Education, Burlington, VT. (June 13, 2017)
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, Abou Samra, Haifa, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Fuller, M, Pickthorn, S. Evaluating the Efficacy of Manual vs LUCAS-2 cardiopulmonary resuscitation during Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in South Dakota.. Presented at the the Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS), Minneapolis. (April 6, 2017)
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, (Abou) Samra, Haifa, Sudhagoni, Ramo, Fuller, Max, Pickthorn, Sean. Evaluating the efficacy of manual versus Lucas®-2 cardiopulmonary resuscitation during out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in South Dakota.
- Meyer, Kiersten, Wegher, Megan, Messersmith, Jessica, Abou Samra, Haifa. Improving EHDI in South Dakota: a Parent's Perspective. Presented at the Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Annual Convention, Atalanta, GA. (February 27, 2017)
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, Abou Samra, Haifa, Sudhagoni, Ramu. sing Emergency Medical Services Data to Better Understand Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Rural Settings and to Drive Quality Improvement Efforts.. Presented at the The American Heart Association - Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, LA.. (November 12, 2016)
- (Abou) Samra, Haifa. Resaerch, evidence-based practice, and quality improvement.
- Abou Samra, Haifa, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Seiber, Michaela, Imhoff, Kim, Fuller, Max. Using Statistical Models to Predict Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Estimates in Rural South Dakota. Presented at the Annual American Public Health Meetings, Colorado, Denver. (October 29, 2016)
- Dieter, Carla, Anderson, Susan, Brockevelt, Barbara, Letcher, Debra, Mendering, Jessica, Abou Samra, Haifa. Building a NEXUS Network of Partners: Strategies for Building Relationships, Infrastructure and Action Plans. Presented at the 2016 Summit National Center for Interprofessional Education and Practice Summit. (August 23, 2016)
- Dieter, Carla, Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Abou Samra, Haifa, Bloom, Katherine. Advance Care Planning in South Dakota: Engaging Interprofessional Teams to Implement Quality Conversations. Presented at the 2016 International Rural Nursing Conference, Rapid City, SD. (July 19, 2016)
- Fossen, Lucy, Abou Samra, Haifa, Messersmith, Jessica. StoryBoard. Presented at the 15th Annual Early Hearing Detection & Intervention Meeting. (March 15, 2016)
- Abou Samra, Haifa, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Seiber, Michaela, Fuller, Max. "Using Statistical Models to Predict Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Estimates in Rural South Dakota. Presented at the American Public Health Association Conference, Denver, CO. (2016)
- Abou Samra, Haifa, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Lowmiller, Kimberly, Fuller, Max. Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Epidemiology and Outcomes: Analysis of the 2014 EMS data. Presented at the Cardiac System of Care Conference, Pierre, SD. (September 9, 2015)
- Abou Samra, Haifa, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Lowmiller, Kim, Fuller, Max. Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Epidemiology and Outcomes: Analysis of the 2014 EMS data. Presented at the SD Cardiac System of Care Conference, Pierre, SD. (September 9, 2015)
- Abou Samra, Haifa. Predictors of maternal state anxiety one month post a late-preterm delivery. Presented at the Western Institute of Nursing's 48th Annual Communicating Nursing Research Conference, Albuqerque, NM. (April 2015)
- Abou Samra, Haifa, McGrath, Jacqueline. Research, Evidence-based practice, and quality improvement. Presented at the NANN 31st Annual Educational Conference, Dallas, TX. (2015)
- Abou Samra, Haifa. Networking with Expert Roundtable Luncheon proposal presentation entitled: "Research, Evidence-based practice, and quality improvement: How do you avoid misclassification of your project?". Presented at the Western Institute of Nursing's 48th Annual Communicating Nursing Research Conference. (2015)