Phone: (605) 658-6361
Movement science, orthopedic & sports physical therapy
Division I athletics, running-related injuries, sports biomechanics, ankle injuries and rehabilitation
- Sports Physical Therapy Residency, Gundersen Sports Medicine/University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, 2016
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Colorado, 2013
- BS, Physiology & Neuroscience, University of California, San Diego, 2008
Licensures and Certifications:
- Functional Dry Needling, Level 1, Kinetacore
- Blood Flow Restriction Rehabilitation, Owens Recovery Science
- Sports Certified Specialist (SCS), American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties
- Functional Movement Screen, Level 1
- Licensed Physical Therapist - South Dakota
- Credentialed Clinical Instructor, American Physical Therapy Association
- Graston Technique
- Selective Functional Movement Assessment, Level 1
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, National Strength and Conditioning Association
- CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Professionals, American Red Cross
- Emergency Medical Response, American Red Cross
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: An Interprofessional Cultural Encounter, USD SHS Diversity, Inclusivity and Cultural Awareness (DICA) Committee. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2018 - 2018)
- PT/OT Web Conferencing Between Classrooms, Health Affairs Medical Informatics Committee.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Naber, Allison, Adamson, Amanda J., Berg-Poppe, Patti, Ikiugu, Moses, Tao, Hanz, and Zimney, Kory. Using Embedded Encounters to Promote Cultural Humility in Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Education. Vol. 5, Iss. 1. Journal of Occupational Therapy Education, 2021. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.26681/jote.2021.050113)
- Tao, Hanz, Husher, Anthony, Schneider, Zachary, Strand, Scott, and Ness, Brandon M.. The relationship between single leg balance and isometric ankle and hip strength in a healthy population, 712-721. Vol. 15, Iss. 5. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 2020.
- Tao, Hanz, Joyce, Lindsay, Kozak, Bethany, Luiken, Jacob, and Wendt, Nathan. Spatiotemporal comparison of overground and treadmill running with pressure sensor insoles in Division I collegiate runners, 731-739. Vol. 14, Iss. 5. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 2019.
- Ness, Brandon, Tao, Hanz, Javers, Dustin, Thielsen, Allison, Tvedt, Hans, Whitcher, James, and Zimney, Kory. Development of an upper extremity 'swing count' and performance measures in NCAA Division I volleyball players over a competitive season, 582-591. Vol. 14, Iss. 4. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 2019.
- Berg-Poppe, Patti, Cesar, Guilherme M., Tao, Hanz, Johnson, Cal, and Landry, Jessica. Evidence of concurrent validity between a portable force plate and an instrumented walkway when measuring limits of stability. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, 2018.
- Ness, Brandon, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Tao, Hanz, Full, Olivia, Seehafer, Lucas, Walder, Chelsie, and Zimney, Kory. The reliability of a novel heel-rise test versus goniometry to assess plantarflexion range of motion., 19-27. Vol. 13, Iss. 1. Int J Sports Phys Ther, 2018.
Awards and Honors:
- Early Career Teaching Excellence Award for Innovative Teaching, USD School of Health Sciences, 2020
- Tao, Hanz, Bollinger, Trevor, Zackery, Olson, Carl, Schumann. Comparison of balance and strength between Division I collegiate runners and healthy, active individuals.. Presented at the 2020 Combined Sections Meeting, Denver, CO. (February 15, 2020)
- Tao, Hanz, Weber, Steven, Thompson, Creighton. Effectiveness of the Y-balance test in predicting running-related injuries during a collegiate cross country season. Presented at the 2020 Combined Sections Meeting, Denver, CO. (February 15, 2020)
- Tao, Hanz, Ness, Brandon, Zimney, Kory. Use of a novel, individualized running journal to guide return to competition in collegiate runners with running-related injuries: a case series. Presented at the Third World Congress of Sports Physical Therapy, Vancouver, BC, Canada. (October 4, 2019)
- Karges-Brown, Joy R., Chaudry, Aliya N., Adamson, Amanda J., Tao, Hanz. The Culturally Competent Physical Therapy Millennial Practitioner: Are We There Yet?. Presented at the 2019 American Physical Therapy Association NEXT Conference, Chicago IL. (June 2019)
- Rosburg, Jake, Pickett, Andrew C., Tao, Hanz, Louder, Talin. Evaluating segmental contribution to center of mass movement in sub-maximal overhand throwing. Presented at the ACSM 66th Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL. (May 28, 2019)
- Tao, Hanz, Husher, Anthony, Schneider, Zachary, Strand, Scott, Ness, Brandon. Comparison of single leg balance to isometric ankle and hip strength. Presented at the 2019 Combined Sections Meeting, Washington, DC. (January 26, 2019)
- Ness, Brandon, Tao, Hanz, Zimney, Kory, Javers, Dustin, Thielsen, Allison, Whitcher, James. 'Hit count' and upper extremity performance measures in NCAA Division I volleyball players. Presented at the 2019 Combined Sections Meeting, Washington, DC. (January 26, 2019)
- Tao, Hanz, Ness, Brandon, Zimney, Kory, Lentz, Trevor, Christopherson, Zachary, Matheson, J.W., Gist, Mason. The Athlete in Pain: Moving Beyond the Tissues to the Person. Presented at the 2019 Combined Sections Meeting, Washington, DC. (January 25, 2019)
- Berg-Poppe, Patti, Cesar, Guilherme M., Tao, Hanz, Johnson, Cal, Landry, Jessica. Evidence of Concurrent Validity between a Portable Force Plate and an Instrumented Walkway when Measuring Limits of Stability. Presented at the 2018 Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, New Orleans. (February 2018)
- Ness, Brandon, Sudhagoni, Ramu, Tao, Hanz, Zimney, Kory, Full, Olivia, Seehafer, Lucas, Walder, Chelsie. The reliability of a novel heel rise test versus goniometry to assess plantarflexion range of motion. Presented at the Combined Sections Meeting 2018, New Orleans, LA. (February 2018)
- Tao, Hanz, Piropato, Lisa, Vannatta, Charles N., Kernozek, Tom, Rutherford, Drew. Biomechanical feedback intervention to alter jump-landing mechanics: a case series. Presented at the 2017 Combined Sections Meeting, San Antonio, TX. (February 16, 2017)
- Piropato, Lisa, Tao, Hanz, Vannatta, Charles N., Kernozek, Tom, Haberl, Matt, . Jump-landing performance characteristics based on lower extremity strength, range of motion, and lateral step down score in recreational athletes. Presented at the 2017 Combined Sections Meeting, San Antonio, TX. (February 16, 2017)