Heidi Johnson-Anderson has been a practicing nurse since 1986 and has been teaching in Nursing Education since 1992. In addition to her work with USD Nursing she also practices at a 25 bed rural hospital. Her career highlights include extensive work with Simulation as a teaching/learning strategy. Her work has led to publications and national presentations in this area. Heidi has taught at all levels of the USD Nursing curriculum and has provided statewide leadership in curriculum development and implementation of Simulation as a teaching strategy. She is currently working on a Doctorate in Education Administration at the University of South Dakota with a projected completion date of Summer 2014. Her dissertation will focus on Simulation as a teaching/learning pedagogy.
Simulation Rural Health Care Medical Surgical Nursing
Student anxiety as a barrier to learning. The value of "near-peer" student mentoring/partnerships. Simulation as a teaching/learning pedagogy
- MS, Nurse Educator, The University of Wyoming, 2005
- BS, Nursing, The University of North Dakota, 1985
- EdD - enrolled, Education Administration, The University of South Dakota,
Licensures and Certifications:
- Certificate in Simulation, Drexel University College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Partners Investing in Nursing's Future, John T. Vucurevich Foundation and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2009 - 2011)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Kisner, Tamela, and JohnsonAnderson, Heidi. Simulation on a Shoestring Budget. In Nursing, 2010, edited by Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 32-35. Vol. 40, Iss. 8. Nursing, 2010, 2010.
Awards and Honors:
- Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence, School of Health Sciences, 2012
- WISE recognition award, Partnership Rapid City, 2010
- JohnsonAnderson, Heidi, Warren, Dawn, Ray, Annette, Kleinhesselink, Anne. Simulation Development Utilizing a User-Friendly Template. Presented at the CAE Healthcare's Simulation in Rural America, Sioux Falls, SD. (October 10, 2012)
- JohnsonAnderson, Heidi, Owen, Vicki, Kisner, Tamela. Student Mentored / Faculty Supervised Skill Validation Model. Presented at the 22nd Annual Nurse Educator Conference in the Rockies, Breckenridge, Colorado. (July 22, 2011)
- Kisner, Tamela, JohnsonAnderson, Heidi. Simulation on a Shoestring Budget. Presented at the Nursing Conference in the Rockies, Breckinridge Co.. (July 2009)
- JohnsonAnderson, Heidi. E-Motion and E-Learning: A Winning Combination. Presented at the Nurse Educator's Conference, Breckenridge CO. (2008)
- JohnsonAnderson, Heidi. Presented at the Communicating Nursing Research Conference, San Francisco, CA. (2005)