Dr. Caraway has an interest in children's development, diversity, and clinical supervision.
At the undergraduate level, she has taught Developmental Psychology for over 15 years.
At the graduate level, she is a clinical supervisor for the Psychological Services
Center and teaches Developmental and Supervision classes.
Dr. Caraway's theoretical background to psychotherapy is cognitive-behavioral, with
specialization in the assessment and treatment of anxiety disorders. Dr. Caraway's
research interests include Native American and rural mental health, the effects of
violence on women and children, and mental health issues associated with infertility.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Boyd, Beth, Caraway, S. J., and Niemann, Yolanda F.. Surviving & Thriving: A guide for members of marginalized groups in academia. Edited by B. Boyd, S.J. Caraway & Y. Flores Niemann. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association, 2017.
- Tirabassi, Christine, Caraway, Jean, Simons, Raluca M., and . Women's Behavioral Responses to Sexual Aggression The Role of Secondary Cognitive
Appraisals and Self-Regulation.. Violence against women, 1077801216665482., 2016. (DOI: 1077801216665482.)
- Rivera, Peter, Brown, Elissa J., Schwartz, Seth, Caraway, Jean, Weisskirch, Robert, Ham, Lyndsay, Yedlin, J, and Kim, Su Yeong ?. Family Violence Exposure and Sexual Risk Taking among Latino Emerging Adults: The
Role of Posttraumatic Stress Symptomology and Acculturative Stress. Vol. 30, Iss. 8. Journal of Family Violence, 2015.
- Bersamin, Melina, Zamboanga, Bryon L., Schwartz, Seth J., Donnellan, M. B., Hudson, Monika, Weisskirch, Robert S., Kim, Su Y., Agocha, V. B., Whitbourne, Susan K., and Caraway, Jean. Risky Business: Is there an association between casual sex and mental health among
emerging adults?, 43-51. Vol. 51, Iss. 1. Philadelphia, PA : The Journal of Sex Research, 2014.
- , Aerika S., Umana-Taylor, Adriana J., Lee, Richard M., Zamboanga, Byron L., Kim, Su Y., Weisskirch, Robert S., Castillo, Linda G., Whitborune, Susan K., Hurley, Eric A., Huynh, Que-Lam, Brown, Elissa J., and Caraway, Jean. The Moderating Role of Centrality on Associations between Ethnic Identity Affirmation
and Ethnic Minority Individuals' Mental Health, 133-140. Vol. 61, Iss. 3. Journal of American College Health Today, 2013.
- Schwartz, Seth J., Waterman, A. S., Vazsonyi, A. T., Zamboanga, B. L., Whitbourne, S. K., Weisskirch, R. S., Vernon, M., Caraway, Jean, Kim, S. Y., Forthun, L. F., Donnellan, M. B., and Ham, L. S.. The association of well-being with health risk behaviors in college-attending young
adults., 20-36. Vol. 15, Iss. 1. Applied Developmental Science, 2011.
- Reynolds, W. R., Quevillon, Randy, Caraway, Jean, Mackey, D., and Skillman, Gemma. Scale development of a culture values and beliefs scale among Dakota/Nakota/Lakota
People: Psychometric properties and an initial validation. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research: The Journal of the National
- Brady, K.L., and Caraway, Jean. Home away from home: Factors associated with current functioning and traumatized children
in a residential treatment center, 1149-1163. Vol. 26, Iss. 11. Child Abuse and Neglect, The international Journal, 2002.
- Brown, E. J., Caraway, Jean, Brady, K. L., Caldwell-Colbert, T., and Iwamasa, G.. Taking steps at a women in academia: Struggles and solutions, 189-192. Vol. 25, Iss. 10. The Behavior Therapist, 2002.
- Caraway, Jean. Toward increasing the number of behavioral and cognitive-bahaviral ethnic minority
therapists, 210-211. Vol. 24, Iss. 10. The Behavioral Therapist, 2001.
- Merkwan, J. V., Caraway, Jean, and Savina, E.. A comparison of mental health values between students in the U.S. and Russia, 28-29. Vol. 4, Iss. 3/4. International Psychology Reporter: American Psychological Association Division 52
- Yutrzenka, B., Caraway, Jean, and Todd-Bazemore, E.. Critical events in the evolution of a culturaly inclusiv, community-based clinical
psychology training program, 27-28. Iss. 32. The Community Psychologist, 1999.
- McDonald, J. D., Caraway, Jean, Vickers, K., Pate, A., Hegstead, H., Westby, M., Decoteau, T., and Storey, A.. The mental health response to the Red River flood of 1997. Edited by Samuel Knapp & Thomas L. Jackson, 439-454. Iss. 16. Sarasota, FL : Innovations in Clinical Practice: A Souce Book , 1998.
- Boyd, Beth, Caraway, S. Jean, Niemann, Yolanda, and Fang, Justin. Surviving and Thriving in Academia: A Guide for Members of. Washington, DC : American Psychological Association.
- Castillo, Linda, Navarro, R. L., Walker, J. E., Schwartz, S. J., Zamboanga, B. L., , , , , , and Caraway, Jean. Gender matters: The influence of acculturation and acculturative stress on Latino
college student depressive symptomatology.. Journal of Latino/a Psychology..
- Dezutter, Jessie, Waterman, Alan, Schwartz, Seth, Luyckz, Koen, Meca, Alan, Kim, Su, Kraus-Whitbourne, Susan, Zamboanga, Byron, Richie, Rachel, Lee, Richard, Hardy, Sam, Forthun, Larry, Brown, Elissa J., Weisskirch, Rob, and Caraway, Jean. Meaning in Life in Emerging Adulthood: A Person-Oriented Approach. Journal of Personality.