Dr. Jewel Goodman Shepherd is an Assistant Professor of Health Services Administration
with an earned doctorate in Health Services Research. Dr. Shepherd is also the Internship
Experience Coordinator for Health Services Administration for both the undergraduate
HSAD major and graduate HSAD specialization. She is also the Master of Business Administration
(M.B.A.) Program Coordinator.
My academic and professional accomplishments and experiences have been important to
developing my teaching pedagogy because as an educator I must be willing to understand
not only the student perspective, but also the perspective that I bring into the classroom
and be willing to make accommodations. I demonstrate ambitious behaviors and model
self-efficacy for my students so that there are clear expectations of success for
them throughout their tenure with me in the course and beyond. I ensure there are
no discrepancies between my teaching behaviors and my personal values. I am committed
to placing students at the center of their learning by teaching in the manner that
is best suited for their learning style and that promotes success. With an accomplished
experience at the Community College level, the Undergraduate level specific to a four-year
University experience and familiarity with graduate students pursuing an MPH or a
Health Services Research PhD, I share the College and University's responsibility
of managing recruitment and retention by executing my role as a mentor with the same
enthusiasm I exert for teaching to ensure student academic success. I see advising
and mentoring as an extension of teaching and service to students to promote a cohesive
learning community. My teaching interests are public health, community health, epidemiology,
health services research, advanced strategic planning, advance healthcare management,
health services administration and additional health-focused curriculum.
Research interests include: chronic care management, health education and promotion,
behavior health surveillance, mobile health technologies, and inter-professional collaboration
in the health sciences.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Shepherd, Jewel. Inclusiveness in Health Services: Taking a HEALTHY Approach. Edited by John M. Buell Managing Editor, Healthcare Executive and Momentum. Chicago, Illinois: Momentum, The Early Careerist Newsletter, a publication of the American College of
Healthcare Executives , 2018.
- Shepherd, Jewel, and Sariol, Ana. Inclusiveness in Health Services: Taking a HEALTHY Approach. In Momentum: Early Careerist Newsletter. American College of Healthcare Executives, 2018.
- Shepherd, Jewel. A Decade of Diabetes Hospitalizations: Meaningful Information for Community-Based
Health Services Administrators for Identifying and Assessing Risk. Edited by Editorial Board: Anita S. Tesh , 8 pages. Vol. 3, Iss. 3. Los Angeles, California : The Journal of Patient Care , 2017. (DOI: DOI: 10.4172/2573-4598.1000135)
- Shepherd, Jewel, Claiborne, Denise M., Johnosn, Kaprea F., and Goodman, K S.. Treating Patients with Alzheimer's Disease: Adopting a Patient-Centered Approach will
help Dental Professionals Improve Both Oral and Systemic Health Outcomes for Patients
with Alzheimer's Disease. Edited by Thomas G. Wilson, Jr., DDS, 34-39. Vol. 2, Iss. 2. Santa Ana, California: The Journal of Multidisciplinary Care: Decisions in Dentistry , 2016.
- Shepherd, Jewel, Johnson, Kaprea F., Goodman, K S., and Copeland-Murphy, S. Utilizing the Stages of Change Model to Design an Employment Readiness Training Program
for High Risk Workers: A Collaborative of Community-Based Human Service Professionals
and Health Sciences Educators., 37-43. Vol. 4, Iss. 2-1. American Journal of Health Research , 2016.
- Shepherd, Jewel, Claiborne, Denise M., Johnosn, Kaprea F., and Goodman, K. S.. Dealing with Dementia: A Patient-centered Approached will Help Dental Professionals
Improve Both Oral and Systemic Health Outcomes for Patients with Alzheimer's Disease. Edited by Kirsten Machado , 37-40. Vol. 13, Iss. 7. Santa Ana, California : Dimensions of Dental Hygiene , 2015.
- Tufts, Kimberly A., Johnson, Kaprea F., Shepherd, Jewel, Lee, Ju-Young, Ajzoon, Muna S. Bait, Mahan, Lauren B., and Kim, Miyong T.. Novel Interventions for HIV Self-management in African American Women: A Systematic
Review of mHealth Interventions. Vol. 26, Iss. 2. JANAC-JOURNAL OF THE ASSOCIATION OF NURSES IN AIDS CARE, 2015. (DOI: 10.1016/j.jana.2014.08.002)
- Shepherd, Jewel, and Lemaster, Margaret F.. Working to Improve Access to Care - Community Health Centers: Addressing Overall Health
and Oral Health is a Perfect Match. Edited by Kirsten Machado, 60-64. Vol. 12, Iss. 6. Santa Ana, California: Dimensions of Dental Hygiene, 2014.
- Shepherd, Jewel, Locke, Elizabeth, Zhang, Qi, and Maihafer, George. Health Services Use and Prescription Access Among Uninsured Patients Managing Chronic
Diseases, 572-583. Vol. 39, Iss. 3. JOURNAL OF COMMUNITY HEALTH, 2014. (DOI: 10.1007/s10900-013-9799-1)
- Shepherd, Jewel. Proposed Framework for Examining Ancillary Benefits of Patient Education: A Practical
Application Tool for Health Services Administrators. Edited by Dr. Dean Smith . New Orleans, Louisiana : The Journal of Health Administration Education, a publication of the Association of
University Programs in Health Administration .