John Dudley, Associate Dean for Academics in the College or Arts & Sciences and Professor
of English, is the author of _A Man's Game: Masculinity and the Anti-Aesthetics of
American Literary Naturalism_ (University of Alabama Press, 2004). He is currently
working on a study of African American literature and culture between 1890 and 1928,
with an emphasis on the role of music, aesthetics, and material culture in developing
notions of racial identity.
American Literature, Realism and Naturalism, African American Literature and Culture,
Gender Studies, Western American Literature
American Literary Naturalism, Western American Literature, African American Literature
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Dudley, John. "Crime, Science, Realism". In A History of American Crime Fiction, edited by Chris Raczkowski. Cambridge University Press, 2017. (DOI: 10.1017/9781316442975)
- Dudley, John. "Western Folk Traditions: from colonization to Mark Twain and the San Francisco Circle". In Cambridge Companion to the Literature of the American West, edited by Stephen Frye. Cambridge University Press, 2016. (DOI: 10.1017/CBO9781316155097)
- Dudley, John. "Naturalism and African American Culture". Vol. 1, Iss. 7. Studies in American Naturalism, 2013.
- Dudley, John. "McCarthy's Heroes: Revising Masculinity". In The Cambridge Companion to Cormac McCarthy, edited by Stephen Frye, 175-187. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Dudley, John. "Land of Oblivion: Abjection, Broken Bodies, and the Western Narrative in Deadwood". In Dirty Words in Deadwood: Literature and the Postwestern, edited by Melody Graulich and Nicolas Witschi, 72-103. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 2013.
- Dudley, John. Realism and Naturalism. Oxford Bibliographies Online, 2012.
- Dudley, John. "African American Writers and Naturalism". In The Oxford Handbook to American Literary Naturalism, edited by Keith Newlin, 257-273.. New York, NY: Oxford UP, 2011.
- Dudley, John. "Naturalist Fiction.". In Encyclopedia of Twentieth Century American Fiction, edited by Patrick O'Donnell, David W. Madden, and Justus Nieland, 733-738. London: Blackwell, 2011.
- Dudley, John. "Westerns". In Research Guide to American Literature: Realism and Regionalism, 1865-1914, 67-73. Columbia, South Carolina: Bruccoli, Clark, Layman, 2010.
- Dudley, John. "Expanding the Naturalist Canon in an 'Experimental' Classroom.", 2-7. Iss. 3.1-2. ALN: The American Literary Naturalism Newsletter, 2009.
- Dudley, John. A Man's Game: Masculinity and the Anti-Aesthetics of American Literary Naturalism... Tuscaloosa, Alabama: University of Alabama Press, 2004.