Dr. McKay-Semmler is a native of Hill City, South Dakota. She studies intercultural
communication, in particular, the role of interpersonal communication in the cross-cultural
adaptation process. She has conducted research on the cross-cultural adaptation experiences
of Hispanic youth in the Siouxland area. More recently, her research has examined
the influence of interpersonal and mediated messages on the receptivity of host culture
members toward immigrants.
intercultural communication, intergroup communication, conflict resolution, methods
of alternative dispute resolution, quantitative research methods, training & development
cross-cultural adaptation, host community attitudes toward immigrants and immigration,
intercultural conflict and dialogue, intergroup contact
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Kim, Young Y., and McKay-Semmler, Kelly. The International Encyclopedia of Intercultural Communication. Edited by Young Yun Kim (General Ed.) & Kelly McKay-Semmler (Assoc. Ed.), 2160. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2018.
- Albert, Rosita, and McKay-Semmler, Kelly. Communication Modes, Latin American/Latino. In International Encyclopedia of Intercultural Communication, edited by Young Yun Kim (General Editor) and Kelly McKay-Semmler (Associate Editor), 219-227. Vol. 1. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2018.
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly. High- and Low-Context Cultures. In International Encyclopedia of Intercultural Communication, edited by Young Yun Kim (General Editor) and Kelly McKay-Semmler (Associate Editor), 809-814. Vol. 2. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2018.
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly. Book Review: Crossing Boundaries and Weaving Intercultural Work, Life, and Scholarship
in Globalizing Universities. Edited by Dina Birman. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2017. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ijintrel.2017.01.002)
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly, and Semmler, Shane. The unfinished work of feminism: An analysis of online user-generated comments responding
to public opinion polls about gender equality. In Gender and Work: Exploring Intersectionality, Resistance, and Identity, edited by M. Sternadori & C. Prentice, 279. Cambridge Scholars, 2016.
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly, Semmler, Shane, and Kim, Young Y.. Local news media cultivation of host receptivity in Plainstown, 188-208. Vol. 40, Iss. 2. Human Communication Research, 2014. (DOI: 10.1111/hcre.12024)
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly, and Kim, Young Y.. Cross-cultural adaptation of Hispanic youth: A study of communication patterns, functional
fitness, and psychological health. Edited by Kory Floyd, 133-156. Vol. 81, Iss. 2. Communication Monographs, 2014. (DOI: 10.1080/03637751.2013.870346)
- Semmler, Shane, McKay-Semmler, Kelly, and Robertson, Terry. Gendered issue depictions in Commander in Chief vs West Wing, 247-262. Vol. 21, Iss. 5. Atlantic Journal of Communication, 2013. (DOI: 10.1080/15456870.2013.840304 )
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly, and Semmler, Shane. The art of making conversation: Learning the skills of small talk, 48-55. Vol. 40. Communication and Theater Association of Minnesota Journal, 2013.
- Kim, Young Y., and McKay-Semmler, Kelly. Social engagement and cross-cultural adaptation: An examination of direct and mediated
interpersonal communication activities of educated non-natives in the United States. Edited by Dan Landis, 99-112. Vol. 37, Iss. 1. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2013. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ijintrel.2012.04.015)
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly. Student workbook for Communication 1113. Iss. 2nd. Dubuque, IA: McGraw-Hill Custom Publishing, 2006.
- Robertson, Terry, McKay-Semmler, Kelly, and Raabe, Erica. Political websites: Female senatorial and gubernatorial candidates and their opponents
in the 2002 election, 1-24. Vol. 36, Iss. 1. Cedar Falls, IA: Iowa Journal of Communication, 2004.
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly. Fundamentals of speech: A student workbook. Edited by Kelly McKay-Semmler, Shane Semmler, Terry Robertson. Boston, MA: Pearson Custom Publishing, 2003.
- McKay-Semmler, Kelly. Travel analysis portfolio: Applying theories of cross-cultural communication to the
task of personal travel planning. Discourse: The Journal of the SCASD.