Teaching undergraduate and graduate classes related to psychopathology, psychotherapy,
personality, and psychological research.
Dr. Gaher's research interests include (1) risk and resiliency factors among OEF/OIF
veterans (particularly the mediating and moderating mechanisms explaining the co-occurrence
between PTSD and substance use), (2) personality disorders and substance use, (3)
military sexual trauma, (4) alcohol related problems among college students, and (5)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Hahn, A M., Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, and Welker, L E.. A model of reinforcement sensitivity, impulsivity, alcohol use, and risky sexual behavior
in a sample of young adult drinkers.. Experimental and clinical psychopharmacology, 2019. (DOI: 10.1037/pha0000321)
- Sistad, R E., Simons, Raluca, and Simons, Jeffery. Sensitivity to reward and punishment and alcohol outcomes: Metacognition as a moderator., 100213. Vol. 10. Addictive behaviors reports, 2019. (DOI: 10.1016/j.abrep.2019.100213)
- Marks, R M., Simons, Jeffery, Simons, Raluca, and Freeman, Harry. Temperament in the prediction of proximal versus distal expectancies: An acquired
preparedness model.. Experimental and clinical psychopharmacology, 2019. (DOI: 10.1037/pha0000283)
- Welker, L. E., Simons, Raluca, and Simons, Jeffery. Grandiose and vulnerable narcissism: Associations with alcohol use, alcohol problems
and problem recognition, 226-234. Vol. 67, Iss. 3. J Am Coll Health, 2019. (DOI: 10.1080/07448481.2018.1470092)
- Hahn, A M., Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, and Welker, L E.. Prediction of verbal and physical aggression among young adults: A path analysis of
alexithymia, impulsivity, and aggression., 653-656. Vol. 273. Psychiatry research, 2019. (DOI: 10.1016/j.psychres.2019.01.099)
- Simons, Jeffery, Simons, Raluca, Walters, K J., Keith, J A., O'Brien, C, Andal, K, and Stoltenberg, S F.. Nexus of despair: A network analysis of suicidal ideation among veterans., 1-23. Archives of suicide research : official journal of the International Academy for Suicide
Research, 2019. (DOI: 10.1080/13811118.2019.1574689)
- Hahn, Austin M., Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, Wiers, Reinout W., and Welker, Logan E.. Can Cognitive Bias Modification Simultaneously Target Two Behaviors? Approach Bias
Retraining for Alcohol and Condom Use, 2167702619834570. Clinical Psychological Science, 2019.
- Hovrud, Lindsey, Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, and Korkow, John. Non-suicidal self-injury and bulimia: the role of emotion dysregulation and body dissatisfaction, 1-9. Eating and Weight Disorders-Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, 2019.
- Hofman, Nicole L., Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, and Hahn, Austin M.. The Role of Emotion Regulation in the Relationship Between Trauma and Health-Related
Outcomes, 197-212. Vol. 24, Iss. 3. Journal of Loss and Trauma, 2019.
- Hahn, Christine, Hahn, Austn, Simons, Raluca, Caraway, Jeannie, and . Predictors of women's engagement in risky sex: Sexual assault history, self-regulation,
- Walters, Kyle J., Simons, Jeffery, and Simons, Raluca. Self-control demands and alcohol-related problems: Within- and between-person associations. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 2018. (DOI: 10.1037/adb0000387)
- Simons, Raluca, Sistad, R. E., Simons, Jeffery, and Hansen, J.. The role of distress tolerance in the relationship between cognitive schemas and alcohol
problems among college students, 1-8. Vol. 78. Addict Behav, 2018. (DOI: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.10.020)
- Simons, Jeffery, Simons, Raluca, Maisto, Stephen A., Walters, Kyle J., and Hahn, Austin M.. Daily associations between alcohol and sexual behavior in young adults., 36-48. Vol. 26. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology., 2018.
- Simons, Jeffery, Simons, Raluca, O'Brien, C, Stoltenberg, S F., Keith, J A., and Hudson, J A.. PTSD, alcohol dependence, and conduct problems: Distinct pathways via lability and
disinhibition., 185-193. Vol. 64. Addictive behaviors, 2017. (DOI: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2016.08.044)
- Forster, Gina, Simons, Raluca, and Baugh, Lee A.. Revisiting the Role of the Amygdala in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.. In The Amygdala - Where Emotions Shape Perception, Learning and Memories..
- Simons, Raluca, Hahn, A M., Simons, Jeffery, and Murase, H. Emotion dysregulation and peer drinking norms uniquely predict alcohol-related problems
via motives., 54-58. Vol. 177. Drug and alcohol dependence, 2017. (DOI: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.03.019)
- Sandín, B, Simons, Jeffery, Valiente, R M., Simons, Raluca, and Chorot, P. Psychometric properties of the spanish version of The Distress Tolerance Scale and
its relationship with personality and psychopathological symptoms., 421-428. Vol. 29, Iss. 3. Psicothema, 2017. (DOI: 10.7334/psicothema2016.239)
- Hocking, Elise, Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, Freeman, Harry, and . Adult attachment and drinking context as predictors of alcohol problems and relationship
satisfaction in college students. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 2017. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00952990.2017.1344682)
- Simons, Jeffery, Emery, N N., Simons, Raluca, Wills, T A., and Webb, M K.. Effects of alcohol, rumination, and gender on the time course of negative affect., 1-14. Cognition & emotion, 2016. (DOI: 10.1080/02699931.2016.1226162)
- Hocking, Elise, Simons, Raluca M., and Surette, Renata. Attachment style as a mediator between childhood maltreatment and the experience of
betrayal trauma as an adult.. Child Abuse & Neglect, doi:10.1016/j.chiabu.2016.01.00, 2016.
- Hahn, Austin, Simons, Raluca M., and Hahn, Christine. Five factors of impulsivity: Unique pathways to borderline and antisocial personality
features and subsequent alcohol problems. Personality and Individual Differences, 99, 313-319., 2016.
- Tirabassi, Christine, Caraway, Jean, Simons, Raluca M., and . Women's Behavioral Responses to Sexual Aggression The Role of Secondary Cognitive
Appraisals and Self-Regulation.. Violence against women, 1077801216665482., 2016. (DOI: 1077801216665482.)
- Hahn, A M., Simons, Raluca, and Simons, Jeffery. Childhood Maltreatment and Sexual Risk Taking: The Mediating Role of Alexithymia., 53-62. Vol. 45, Iss. 1. Archives of sexual behavior, 2016. (DOI: 10.1007/s10508-015-0591-4)
- Simons, Jeffery, Joseph Clarke, C, Simons, Raluca M., and Spelman, P J.. Marijuana consequences in a motivational context: Goal congruence reduces likelihood
of taking steps toward change., 83-90. Vol. 52. Addictive behaviors, 2016. (DOI: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2015.08.010)
- Hahn, A M., Tirabassi, C K., Simons, Raluca M., and Simons, Jeffery. Military sexual trauma, combat exposure, and negative urgency as independent predictors
of PTSD and subsequent alcohol problems among OEF/OIF veterans., 378-83. Vol. 12, Iss. 4. Psychological services, 2015. (DOI: 10.1037/ser0000060)
- Simons, Raluca M., Hahn, A M., Shishido, H, Simons, Jeffery, and Gaster, S. Associations between sensitivity to punishment, sensitivity to reward, and gambling., 180-4. Vol. 42. Addictive behaviors, 2015. (DOI: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2014.11.014)
- Simons, Raluca M., Hahn, A M., Simons, Jeffery, and Gaster, S. Control and Alcohol-Problem Recognition Among College Students., 373-9. Vol. 63, Iss. 6. Journal of American college health : J of ACH, 2015. (DOI: 10.1080/07448481.2015.1042879)
- Arens, A M., Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, and Dvorak, R D.. Child maltreatment and deliberate self-harm: a negative binomial hurdle model for
explanatory constructs., 168-77. Vol. 19, Iss. 3-4. Child maltreatment, 2014. (DOI: 10.1177/1077559514548315)
- Emery, Noah, Simons, Jeffery, Clarke, Joseph, and Simons, Raluca. Emotion Differentiation and Alcohol-Related Problems: The Mediating Role of Urgency, 1459-1463. Vol. 39. Addictive Behaviors, 2014.
- Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, Hahn, Austin, Hofman, Nicole L., Hansen, Jamie, and Buchkoski, Jerome. An experience sampling study of PTSD and alcohol-related problems, 1013-1025. Vol. 28. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 2014.
- Simons, Raluca, Hofman, Nicole L., Simons, Jeffery, and Hunsaker, Ryan. Emotion regulation deficits as mediators between trauma exposure and borderline symptoms, 466-475. Vol. 37. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 2013.
- Shishido, Hanako, Simons, Raluca, and Simons, Jeffery. I don't know how I feel, therefore I act: Alexithymia, urgency and alcohol problems, 2014-2017. Vol. 38. Addictive Behaviors, 2013.
- Arens, Ashley M., Simons, Raluca, and Simons, Jeffery. Child maltreatment and deliberate self-harm among college students: Testing mediation
and moderation models for impulsivity, 328-337. Vol. 82. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 2012.
- Simons, Jeffery, Simons, Raluca, Wray, Tyler B., and Reed, Ryan N.. College student drug use: Prevalence and consequences. In College Student Alcohol Abuse: A Guide to Assessment, Intervention, and Prevention, edited by CJ Correia, J Murphy, & N Barnett, 3-52. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2012.
- Webb, Michael K., Simons, Jeffery, and Simons, Raluca. Affect and Drinking Behavior: Moderating Effects of Involuntary Attention to Emotion
and Distress Tolerance. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacologyv.
- Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, olson, dawn, Baugh, Lee A., Magnotta, vince, and Forster, Gina. PTSD and Alcohol Use Among Veterans: Amygdala and Anterior Cingulate fMRI Activation
to Emotional Cues. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Simons, Raluca, O'Brien, Carol, Smiley, Paul, Hahn, Austin, and . Alexithymia Predicting Coping Style in a Sample of Veterans who Experienced Military
Sexual Trauma.. Edited by Martin Hagger. Stress and Health.
- Arens, Ashley, Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, Dvorak, Rob, and . Child maltreatment and non-suicidal self-injury: A negative binomial hurdle model
for mediating constructs.. Child Abuse and Neglect.