Dr. Quevillon received his B.S. from the University of Wisconsin--EauClaire and his
M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Montana. He did his clinical internship at
the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. He has been a professor at The
University of South Dakota since 1978. He attained the rank of Full Professor and
assumed the role of Department Chair in 1991. He was a founding member of the Disaster
Mental Health Institute and has been a faculty member in the DMHI since its inception
in 1992. He married his wife, Louise in 1972. They have three children, Josh, Paul
My teachinging interests include the following: Behavior Therapy, Cognitive Behavior
Therapy, Rural Community Psychology, Science and Practice, Disaster Mental Health
Management and Abnormal Psychology.
Dr. Quevillon's research areas include stress among disaster victims and helpers,
depression, professional training issues and rural community mental health. His clinical
interests include marital and group therapy; bereavement counseling; cross-cultural
issues; and the treatment of depression, anxiety, impulsiveness and serious and persistent
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Messler, E. C., Quevillon, R. P., and Simons, J. S.. The effect of perceived approval of drinking on alcohol use and problems, 44-59. Vol. 58, Iss. 1. Lansing, Michigan: Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education, 2014.
- Hsia, J. F., and Quevillon, Randy. Generational tends in cultural values and perceived family relations in farm families, 27-32. Vol. 36, Iss. 2. Washington, DC: Journal of Rural Mental Health, 2012.
- Long, M. E., and Quevillon, Randy. Imagery rescripting in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder, 67-76. Vol. 23, Iss. 1. New York, NY: Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy: An International Quarterly, 2009.
- Boyd, Beth, Quevillon, Randy, and Engdahl, R.. Working with Rural and Diverse Communities After Disasters.. In Crisis and Disaster Counseling: Lessons Learned from Hurricane Katrina and Other Disasters., edited by Dass-Brailsford, P.. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2009.
- Reynolds, W. R., Quevillon, Randy, Caraway, Jean, Mackey, D., and Skillman, Gemma. Scale development of a culture values and beliefs scale among Dakota/Nakota/Lakota
People: Psychometric properties and an initial validation. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research: The Journal of the National
- Jacobs, Gerard, Revel, J. P., Reyes, G., and Quevillon, Randy. Handbook of International Disaster Psychology: Meeting the Psychosocial needs of People
in Humanitarian Emergencies. In Development of the Rapid Assessment of Mental Health: An International collaboration, edited by G. Reyes & G.A. Jacobs. Iss. 1. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2006.
- Jacobs, Gerard, Boero, J. V., Quevillon, Randy, Todd-Bazemore, E., Elliott, T. L., and Reyes, G.. Helping Children Cope With Disasters and Terrorism. In Floods, edited by A.M. La Greca, W.K. Sliverman, E.M. Vernberg and M.C. Roberts. Washington, DC: APA Books, 2002.
- Jacobs, Gerard, Quevillon, Randy, and Ofman, P. S.. Innovations in Clinical Practice: A Source Book. In Psychological interventions in th immediate aftermath of aviation disasters, 369-382. Vol. 16. Sarasota, Florida: Professional Resource Press, 1998.
- Jacobs, Gerard, and Quevillon, Randy. Proceedings of the International Symposium of Family and Victim Assistance for Transportation
Disasters. In Disater Mental Health Needs of and Services for Families in Aviation Disasters. Arlington, Virginia: National Transportation Safety Board, 1998.
- Jacobs, Gerard, Yutrzenka, Barbara, and Quevillon, Randy. Children's Stress and the Expression and Experience of Anger. In Proceedings of the International Congress on Stress as a Risk Factor, edited by D. Gomez & M. Garabal. University of Santiago De Compostela, 1992.
- Jacobs, Gerard, Yutrzenka, Barbara, and Quevillon, Randy. Is Disaster Response a Risk Factor?. In Proceedings of the International Congress on Stress as a Risk Factor, edited by D. Gomez & M. Garabal. University of Santiago De Compostela, 1992.
- Jacobs, Gerard, Quevillon, Randy, and Stricherz, M.. Lessons from Flight 232: Practical Considerations for the Mental Health Professions'
Response to Air Disasters, 1239-2335. Vol. 45. American Psychologist, 1990.
- Messler, Erick C., Emery, Noah N., and Quevillon, Randy. Does relationship quality matter? Perceived mutual reciprocity as a moderator between
perceived parental approval of drinking and negative consequences of alcohol use. Journal of Substance Use.
- Messler, Erick C., Quevillon, Randy, and Simons, Jeffery. The effect of perceived parental approval of drinking on alcohol use and problems.. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education.