COUNSELING & PSYCHOLOGY IN EDUCATION
Delzell Education Center 209E
Phone: (605) 677-5346
Associate professor in the Counselor Education Program at the University of South Dakota. Provided counseling services in various settings since 1999. License and certifications include: Licensed Professional Counselor (SD), NCC, and a Gottman Seven Principles Program Educator. He has also completed Level 3 training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy.
Dr. Olson teaches counselor education courses with special focus in clinical training courses, diagnosis, and psychopathology.
Research focus in areas of clinical practice. Recent endeavors relate to problems with professional competence, diversity issue, and state licensure.
- Ph D, Counselor Education and Supervision, Kent State University, 2004
- MA, Community Counseling, University of South Dakota, 1999
- BA, Psychology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1997
Licensures and Certifications:
- Licensed Professional Counselor - Mental Health, SD Board of Counselor Examiners
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, International Association of Trauma Professionals
- Gottman Seven Principles Program Educators' Training Certification, Gottman Institute
- Licensed Professional Counselor, SD Board of Counseling Examiners
- National Certified Counselor, NBCC
- SOE research grant, School of Education. Grant Role: Principal. (2015 - 2015)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Jorgensen, Maribeth, Brown-Rice, Kathleen, and Olson, Seth. Clinical Supervisors' Knowledge of Supervisees with Problems of Professional Competency, 25. Vol. 10, Iss. 1/4. Journal of Counselor Preparation and Supervision, 2018.
- Olson, Seth D., Brown-Rice, Kathleen, and Gerodias, Andrew. Professional Counselor Licensure Portability: An Examination of State License Applications, 16. Vol. 8, Iss. 1. The Professional Counselor, 2018. (DOI: 10.15241/so.8.1.88)
- DeCino, Daniel, Strear, Molly, and Olson, Seth. Exploring School Counselors' Social Desirability, Multicultural Counseling Competence, and Demographics in the Midwest. In Journal of School Counseling. Vol. 16, Iss. 2. Journal of School Counseling, 2018.
- Brown-Rice, Kathleen, Scholl, Jamie L., Fercho, Kelene A., Pearson, Kami, Kallsen, Noah A., Davies, Gareth, Ehli, Erik, Olson, Seth, Schweinle, Amy, Baugh, Lee A., and Forster, Gina. Neural and psychological characteristics of college students with alcoholic parents differ depending on current alcohol use, 284-296. Vol. 81. PROGRESS IN NEURO-PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY & BIOLOGICAL PSYCHIATRY, 2018. (DOI: 10.1016/j.pnpbp.2017.09.010)
- Olson, Seth, Brown-Rice, Kathleen, and Keller, Natasha. Mental Health Practitioners' Knowledge of Colleagues' Problems of Professional Competency. In Journal of Mental Health Counseling, edited by Richard Ponton, 308-326. Vol. 38, Iss. 4. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 2016. (DOI: 10.17744/mehc.38.4.03)
- Holtberg, Tomas, Olson, Seth, and Brown-Rice, Kathleen. Adolescent Gender Differences in Residential Versus Outpatient Mental Health Treatment: A Meta-Analysis. In Journal of Mental Health Counseling, edited by Richard Ponton, 217-232. Vol. 38, Iss. 3. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 2016. (DOI: 10.774/mehc.38.3.03)
- Knezivic, Branis, and Olson, Seth. Counseling those Displaced by War: Experiences of Refugees from the Former Yugoslavia. In The Professional Counselor, edited by Traci Collins. The Professional Counselor, 2014.
- Stephen, Flynn, and Olson, Seth. American Indian Acculturation: Tribal Lands to Predominantly White Postsecondary Setting. Edited by Spencer Niles, 280-293. Vol. 92, Iss. 3. Journal of Counseling and Development, 2014.
- KORCUSKA, JAMES, and Olson, Seth. Creating constructivist courses in practica and internship. In Handbook of preparing counselors and other helping professionals: Constructivist, development, and experiential approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., 2010.
- Olson, Seth, Mistler, B, and KORCUSKA, JAMES. Creating constructivist courses in supervision. In Handbook of preparing counselors and other helping professionals: Constructivist, development, and experiential approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., 2010.
- Duncan, Kelly, Olson, Seth, and Roseman, Christopher. The mock career fair. In School counselors share their favorite group activities: A guide to choosing, planning, conducting, and processing, edited by Foss, L. L. & Green, J. . Association for Specialists in Group Work, 2008.
- Olson, Seth, KORCUSKA, JAMES, and Paez, S. Creating narrative leagues in schools, 520-523. Vol. 10, Iss. 5. The Professional School Counselor, 2007.
- Olson, Seth. Quantum change: When epiphanies and sudden insights transform ordinary lives. Counseling Today, 2004.
- Olson, Seth. Inappropriate group activities: "These will work". In Critical incidents in group counseling, edited by Lawrence, T., Rachelle, P., and Whitledge, J. . American Counseling Association, 2004.
- Osborn, C., West, J., Bubenzer, D., Duba, J., and Olson, Seth. Dimensions and areas for leadership. In Leaders and legacies: Contributions to the profession of counseling, edited by Bubenzer, D., West, J., & Osborne, C.. New York, NY: Brunner-Routledge, 2003.
- Page, B, Jencius, M, Rehfuss, M, Olson, Seth, Foss, L, Petruzzi, M, Dean, E, and Sager, D. Paltalk on-line groups: Process and reflections on students' experience, 35-41. Vol. 28. Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 2003.
Awards and Honors:
- 2011 Nomination for Belbas-Larson Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of South Dakota
- Olson, Seth. Exercising Your Relationship: Making Relationships Work. Presented at the 5 One-hour class meetings, Sioux Falls. (November 2013)
- Olson, Seth. Exercising Your Relationship: Making Relationships Work.
- Olson, Seth. Nurturing you relationship: Making relationships work.
- Reed, Kristine, Olson, Seth. Human relations: Impact of cultural awareness curriculum on preservice teachers. Presented at the Association of Teacher Educators Conference, Washington, DC. (August 2008)