Delzell Education Center 214B
Phone: (605) 658-6618
Dr. Curtin has teaching and administrative experience in PreK-12 and higher education. Research interests include rural teacher recruitment and retention, culturally responsive teaching and leadership, and recruitment/retention of faculty/staff/students of color in a PWI.
- EDD, Educational Leadership, Youngstown State University, 2002
- M.Ed., Educational Administration, Edinboro University, 1990
Licensures and Certifications:
- Quality Matters (QM) Applying the QM rubric
- Administrative I Elementary Education--Pennsylvania, PA Department of Education
- Instructional II in Elementary Education, PA Department of Education
- Instructional I in Elementary Education, PA Department of Education
- Double Robotics to promote accessibility in a hybrid doctoral program, Center for Teaching and Learning. Grant Role: Supporting. (2017 - Present)
- The Mediating Role of Teacher Self-Efficacy., School of Education. Grant Role: Supporting. (2018)
- perceptions principals and superintendents hold of the affordances and challenges of state and locally based initiatives", School of Education Research Center. (2018)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- hajovsky, daniel, oyen, kari, chestnut, steven, and Curtin, Susan. "Teacher-Student Relationship Quality and Math Achievement: The Mediating Role of Teacher Self-Efficacy", 111-134. Vol. 57, Iss. 1. Psychology in the Schools, 2019. (DOI: (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/pits.22322))
- DeCino, Daniel A., Curtin, Susan, De Jong, David, Seedorf, Stephen, and Dalbey, Amanda. Educational Leaders' Perceptions of Legal Preparedness, 15. Journal of School Leadership, 2019. (DOI: 10.1177/1052684619887550)
- Curtin, Susan. "Teacher Recruitment and Retention in the Rural Midwest: Academic Leaders' Perceptions", 57-74. Vol. 1, Iss. 1. Florida: Voices of Reform: Educational Research to Inform and Reform, 2018.
- De Jong, David, Curtin, Susan, Robinson, Derrick, Johnson, Stephen, Schaap, Ben, and Card, Karen. Division of Educational Leadership: Completed Dissertation Research Impacting the Midwest, 13. Vol. 1, Iss. May 2017. Vermillion, South Dakota: University of South Dakota School of Education, 2017.
- Smith, M, Dixon, A, Geleta, N, and Curtin, S. Collaboration among university units rebuilds a sense of belonging for students of color using the Sanctuary Model® as a framework.. Vol. 16, Iss. 1. Pennsylvania: Making Connections, 2015.
- Dixon, A, Smith, M, Curtin, S, and Geleta, N. Transformational mentoring: Success working with students of color in a PWI institution.. Albequerque: Proceedings of the University of New Mexico Mentoring Conference, 2015.
- Curtin, S, and Baker, J. Reciprocity in the PDS partnership, 27-32. Vol. 1, Iss. 3. School-University Partnerships, The Journal of the National Association for Professional Development Schools, , 2008.
- Curtin, Susan. Chesnut, S. R., Hajovsky, D., Oyen, K. & Curtin, S. (2020, Apr 17 - 21) Teacher-Student Relationship Quality and Math Achievement: The Mediating Role of Teacher Self-Efficacy [Roundtable Session]. AERA Annual Meeting San Francisco, CA http://tinyurl.com/t59a74m (Conference Canceled). Presented at the AERA. (April 2020)
- De Jong, David, Curtin, Susan. Modeling Safe Discourse: A Principal's Perspective on Gender Differences. Presented at the International Council of Professors of Educational Leadership (ICPEL) Conference , Aliso Viejo, CA. (July 16, 2019)
- De Jong, David, Curtin, Susan, Robinson, Derrick. Frequencies of Titles and Keywords of Published Manuscripts in Educational Leadership Journals. Presented at the International Council of Professors of Educational Administrators (ICPEL) Annual Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina. (August 5, 2018)
- De Jong, David, Curtin, Susan, Robinson, Derrick. Learning Through a Telepresence Robot in Educational Leadership Preparation Programs. Presented at the International Council of Professors of Educational Administrators (ICPEL) Annual Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina. (August 5, 2018)
- DeJong, David, Curtin, Susan, Robinson, Derrick. Learning Through a Telepresence Robot in Educational Leadership Preparation Programs.". Presented at the Meeting the Challenges of Inclusivity in the K-20 Education System, Charlotte, NC. (August 5, 2018)
- Curtin, Susan, De Jong, David, Robinson, Derrick. Telepresence robot: Come and see how you could use a telepresence robot in your classroom or school!. Presented at the #TIE18!, Sioux Falls, SD. (April 16, 2018)
- Curtin, Susan, De Jong, David, Robinson, Derrick. Interactive Educational Leadership Simulations: Implications for principal preparation.".
- De Jong, David, Curtin, Susan, Robinson, Derrick. Experience an Educational Leadership Simulation: Teaching Teams. Presented at the Heartland Conference, Sioux Center, Iowa. (October 6, 2017)
- Curtin, Susan, De Jong, David, Robinson, Derrick. A Systematic Comparison of Research Methods Employed in Educational Leadership Journals from 2014 - 2016".
- Curtin, Susan, Gapp, Susan, Shudak, Nicholas, EastonBrooks, Donald. Cultural Responsiveness in South Dakota: Scaling Up through Collaboration, Engagement, Education, Development, and Response to Local Needs.
- Curtin, S, Smith, M, Dixon, A. Transformational Mentoring: Success working with students of color in a PWI institution.