Director, South Dakota Geological Society
Tim Cowman is a Natural Resources Administrator with the South Dakota Geological Survey and a faculty member of the Missouri River Institute at the University of South Dakota. He has a Master's Degree in Natural Sciences from USD and a Bachelor's Degree in Earth Sciences and Chemistry, also from USD.
Intro to River Studies; Intro to GIS; Digital Electronics; Physical Earth Science
Tim has done research on the historical and recent geology of the Missouri River, including the geomorphic processes that control river dynamics, river energy distribution, and sedimentation. He has expertise in the hydrology of the Missouri River and its tributaries, including how they interact with regional ground water systems. Tim has also conducted research on the water quality of the Missouri River and its tributaries, including endocrine disruptor and nutrients studies.
- Characterization of sediment sources in the Lewis and Clark Lake Delta, Missouri Sedimentation Action Coalition (funding from US Environmental Protection Agency). Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2015 - 2016)
- Mapping and Characterization of Calcareous Fens in Eastern South Dakota, South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks, South Dakota Wildlife Action Plan Competitive Grants. Grant Role: Supporting. (2010 - 2015)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Sweeney, Mark, Cowman, Tim, Dixon, Mark, and Wesner, Jeff. Characterization of the geomorphology, sediment sources, vegetation, and macroinvertebrate diversity of the Lewis and Clark Lake delta, 54..
- Dixon, Mark, Boever, Christopher J., Danzeisen, Victoria L., Merkord, Christopher L., Munes, Eszter C., Scott, Michael L., Johnson, W C., and Cowman, Tim. Effects of a "natural" flood event on the riparian ecosystem of a regulated large-river system: the 2011 flood on the Missouri River, USA, 812-824. Vol. 8, Iss. 5. Ecohydrology, 2015. (DOI: 10.1002/eco.1613)
- Yager, LIsa A., Dixon, Mark, Cowman, Tim, and Soluk, Daniel. Historic changes (1941-2008) in side channel and backwater habitats within an unchannelized reach of the Missouri River.. River Research and Applications, 2011. (DOI: 10.1002/rra.1614)
- Dixon, Mark, Johnson, W C., Scott, Michael L., Swanson, David, Cowman, Tim, Merkord, Christopher L., Malloy, Terrence. Effects of the 2011 Flood on Missouri River Cottonwood Forests. Presented at the Annual NE/SD Emergent Sandbar Habitat Interagency Meeting , Lewis and Clark Visitor Center, Crofton, NE. (October 30, 2014)
- Quist, Danielle J., Dixon, Mark, Cowman, Tim, Soluk, Daniel. Flooding impacts and status of riverine mesohabitats, channel complexity, and habitat turnover along the Missouri River. Presented at the Ecological Society of America annual conference, Minneapolis, MN. (August 7, 2013)
- Quist, Danielle J., Cowman, Tim, Dixon, Mark, Soluk, Daniel. Temporal and spatial trends of various water quality parameters and chlorophyll concentrations within the 59-mile reach of the Missouri National Recreational River (poster). Presented at the Missouri River Natural Resources Conference, Nebraska City, NE. (March 10, 2011)
- Lundstrom, S, Cowman, Tim, Holbrook, J, Paces, J, Hanson, P, Dillon, J, Sweeney, Mark, Jacobson, R, B, Heise, J, Abraham. Geological mapping and research along the Missouri National Recreational River, Nebraska and South Dakota: Integration of results and significance to hydrogeologic and ecologic issues. Presented at the Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Portland, OR. (2009)