W M Lee Center for Fine Arts 184F
Phone: (605) 658-3490
Timothy Pyles received his MFA in Acting from Southern Methodist University, in Dallas TX. He has worked as an actor at the Utah Shakespeare Festival, the Theatricum Botanicum in Los Angeles, the Indiana Festival Theatre, and other venues. He is a member of the Actors' Equity Association.
Acing, Voice and Speech, Shakespeare.
History and Theories of Performance, Shakespeare, Philosophy and Theatre, Magic and the Supernatural in Theatre.
- Ph D, Theatre History, Theory, Criticism, and Dramatic Literature, Indiana University, 2016
- MFA, Acting, Southern Methodist University, 2006
Licensures and Certifications:
- Single Sword, Rapier/Dagger, Hand-to-Hand Combat, American Society of Fight Directors and Fight Choreographers
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Pyles, Timothy. Dionysus in the Mirror: Hamlet as Nietzsche's Dionysian Man. Edited by Garry L. Hagberg, Bard College, 128-141. Vol. 41, Iss. 1A. Johns Hopkins University Press - Baltimore, Maryland: Journal of Philosophy and Literature - published by Johns Hopkins University Press, 2017. (DOI: July, 2017)
- Pyles, Timothy. Shakespeare's Supernatural Skepticism: A Study of Shakespeare's Skeptical and Transversal Engagement with the Supernatural, 207. Ann Arbor, MI: ProQuest, 2016. (DOI: February, 2016)
- Pyles, Timothy. "Trusting Performance: A Cognitive Approach to Embodiment in Drama" by Naomi Rokotnitz.. Edited by Kim Solga, pp 266-268. Vol. 55, Iss. 02. Cambridge: Theatre Survey, Cambridge University Press, 2014. (DOI: May, 2014)
- Pyles, Timothy A.. Bodies of Theology: Racine's Esther and Athalie as Embodied Theology. Edited by Dr. Sarah McCarroll and Dr. Andrew Gibb, TBD. Vol. 27, Iss. N/A. Tuscaloosa, Alabama: Theatre Symposium - University of Alabama Press. (DOI: Forthcoming, July 2019)
- Pyles, Timothy. "Dionysus in the Mirror: The Play-Within-The-Play as the Apollonian Reflection of Hamlet's Dionysian Psyche.". Edited by Garry Hagberg, TBD. Vol. 40, Iss. 1A. Baltimore, Maryland: Philosophy and Literature, Johns Hopkins University Press.. (DOI: September, 2016)
Awards and Honors:
- David S. Hawes Award, Indiana Unversity, 2013
- Bob Hope Award for Excellence, Southern Methodist University, 2005
- Pyles, Timothy. "A Wind to Troy: Exploring Ethical Rationalization in Characterizations of Leaders and Rulers from Agamemnon to George W. Bush.". Presented at the Southeastern Theatre Conference, Knoxville, TN. (April 2019)
- Pyles, Timothy A.. Bodies of Theology: Racine's Esther and Athalie as Embodied Theology. Presented at the Southeastern Theatre Conference, Knoxville, TN. (April 2019)
- Pyles, Timothy A.. "Bodies of Theology: Racine's Esther and Athalie as Embodied Theology". Presented at the Theatre Symposium, Atlanta, GA. (April 14, 2018)