MEDIA AND JOURNALISM
Al Neuharth Media Center
Phone: (605) 677-5477
- Ph D, Media and Communication, Texas Tech , 2017
- MA, Communication Studies , University of South Dakota , 2014
- BA, Communication Studies , University of South Dakota , 2011
Licensures and Certifications:
- DIGITAL ACCESSIBILITY TRAINING , Center of Teaching and Learning
- Entering Mentoring: Inclusive Mentoring , HHMI Inclusive Excellence Grant
- Building Bots for Journalism: Software You Talk With, Knight's Center
- Hootsuite Platform Certification , Hootsuite
- Arts and Science Travel and Research Grant. (2021 - Present)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Loof, Travis. Shoshana Zuboff, The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power. London: Profile Books, 2019. $38. 691 pp.: ISBN-13: 9781610395694,. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, 2021.
- Semmler, Shane, and Loof, Travis. Audio-Only Character Narration Overcoming Resistance to Narrative Persuasion, 191-200. Vol. 36, Iss. 3. COMMUNICATION RESEARCH REPORTS, 2019. (DOI: 10.1080/08824096.2019.1598855)
- Holiday, Steven, Loof, Travis, Cummins, R. G., and McCord, Amber. Consumer Response to Selfies in Advertisements: Visual Rhetoric for the Me Me Me Generation, 123-146. Vol. 40, Iss. 2. JOURNAL OF CURRENT ISSUES AND RESEARCH IN ADVERTISING, 2019. (DOI: 10.1080/10641734.2018.1503107)
- Velez, John A., Loof, Travis, Smith, Casey A., Jordan, Josh M., Villarreal, Jonathan A., and Ewoldsen, David R.. Switching Schemas: Do Effects of Mindless Interactions With Agents Carry Over to Humans and Vice Versa?, 335-352. Vol. 24, Iss. 6. JOURNAL OF COMPUTER-MEDIATED COMMUNICATION, 2019. (DOI: 10.1093/jcmc/zmz016)
- Keene, Justin R., Lang, Annie, and Loof, Travis. Text on screen: Can emotionally incongruent combinations of media frames and messages elicit coactivation in the motivational systems, 1-25. Media Psychology, 2019. (DOI: 10.1080/15213269.2017.1412323)
- Keene, Justin R., Rasmussen, Eric E., Berke, Collin K., Densley, Rebecca L., Loof, Travis, Adams, Robyn B., Mumma, Gregory H., and Marshall, Andrew. The effect of plot explicit, educational explicit, and implicit inference information and coviewing on children's internal and external cognitive processing, 1-22. Vol. 0, Iss. 0. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 2019. (DOI: 10.1080/00909882.2019.1581367)
- Holiday, Steven, Loof, Travis, Cummins, R. Glenn, and McCord, Amber. Consumer response to selfies in advertisements: Visual rhetoric for the Me Me Me generation. Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising, 2019.
- Keene, Justin R., Clayton, Russell B., Berke, Collin K., Loof, Travis, and Bolls, Paul D.. On the Use of Beats-Per-Minute and Interbeat Interval in the Analysis of Cardiac Responses to Mediated Messages, 265-274. Vol. 34, Iss. 3. Communication Research Reports, 2017. (DOI: 10.1080/08824096.2017.1334640)
- Rasmussen, Eric E., Keene, Justin R., Berke, Collin K., Densley, Rebecca L., and Loof, Travis. Explaining parental coviewing: The role of social facilitation and arousal, 1-20. Communication Monographs, 2017. (DOI: 10.1080/03637751.2016.1259532)
- Nutting, Brandon, Loof, Travis, Berke, Collin K., and Dalldorf, Charlie A.. Handgrip strength degradation as a physiological correlate of narrative engagement, S52-S52. Vol. 53. PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGY, 2016.
- Berke, Collin K., Loof, Travis, Densley, Rebecca, Rasmussen, Eric, and Keene, Justin R.. The dynamic interaction of educational content and parent child co-viewing on children's phasic cognitive processing of mediated messages, S82-S82. Vol. 53. PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGY, 2016.
- Loof, Travis, Berke, Collin K., Davidson, Austin, Fisher, Jacob, and Keene, Justin R.. The dynamic interaction of emotional content and modality on coactivation in the motivational systems and psychophysiological responses, S84-S84. Vol. 53. PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGY, 2016.
- Loof, Travis. A narrative criticism of lifestyle reality programs., 167-178. Vol. 1, Iss. 1. Journal of Media Critiques, 2015. (DOI: 10.17349/jmc115209)
- Semmler, Shane, Loof, Travis, and Berke, Collin. The influence of audio-only character narration on character and narrative engagement, 63-72. Vol. 32, Iss. 1. Communication Research Reports, 2015. (DOI: 10.1080/08824096.2014.989976)
- Berke, Collin K., Loof, Travis, Densley, Rebecca, Rasmussen, Eric E., and Keene, Justin R.. Explaining parental co-viewing: The role of social facilitation and physiological arousal, S38-S38. Vol. 52. PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGY, 2015.
Awards and Honors:
- Top Paper Award, Midwinter Conference for the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 2017
- Top Research Paper, Broadcaster Education Association Conference, Research Division, 2017
- Top Faculty Paper Award, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Mass Communication and Society, 2016
- Loof, Travis, Miller, Kyle, Martin, Ciarra, Northagen, Paige, Bankers, Emma, Berke, Collin. Exploring audio-specific message sensation value in workplace safety PSAs.. Presented at the Broadcast Education Association Virtual Vegas Convention, Las Vegas, NV. (April 2020)
- Loof, Travis, Schweitzer, Kaley. Fundraising & Social Media. Presented at the National Philanthropy Day Conference . (October 29, 2019)
- Loof, Travis. Social Media Management: Teaching Data Analytics, Social Media Marketing, and Content Strategy. Presented at the 102nd Annual Conference for the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Toronto, Canada. (August 2019)
- Loof, Travis. Video Games as Research: Discussing Upcoming Research and Methods. Presented at the 102nd Annual Conference for the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Toronto, Canada. (August 2019)
- Loof, Travis. One-way or two-way Streets: Do effects of "mindless" interactions with agents carry over to humans and vice versa?. Presented at the 69th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association, Washington D.C.. (May 2019)
- Loof, Travis. Video game characters as mindfulness training partners.. Presented at the AEJMC Annual Conference 2018, Washington D.C.. (August 2018)
- Loof, Travis, Krause, Amber, Berke, Collin, Nutting, Brandon. Message sensation value and narrative engagement as increasing the effectiveness of workplace safety videos. Presented at the Broadcast Education Association (BEA) Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV. (April 2018)
- Loof, Travis. In the company of selfies: Affective and cognitive response to selfies in print advertisements. Presented at the 67th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association, San Diego, CA.. (May 2017)
- Loof, Travis. Short-circuited: An analysis of source credibility and artificial intelligence. Presented at the AEJMC mid-winter conference, Norman, OK. (March 2017)