Skip to main content

Financial aid for graduate students may be available in the form of assistantships, fellowships or student loans:

Graduate Assistantships & Fellowships

Students interested in graduate assistantships or fellowships should apply through the department by contacting the graduate director. To qualify for a graduate assistantship, a student must be fully admitted in a graduate program and enrolled in nine credit hours on-campus or in off-campus state-supported courses.

Student Loans

  • Federal Loans
    To qualify for federal sources of financial aid, graduate students must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). List The University of South Dakota's federal code of 003474 on your application. Federal financial aid options include Federal Stafford Loans, Grad PLUS Loans and Federal Work Study. The University of South Dakota's priority deadline for filing the FAFSA is April 1.
  • Private Loans
    Graduate students who need additional funds after carefully considering the feasibility of federal loan options - or who are ineligible for federal aid - may need to apply for a private loan. Private loans are non-federal loans offered by some lenders and state governments. Applications for alternative loans are available through the Office of Financial Aid. Students are strongly encouraged to research the lender benefits, customer service and other information related to loan processing, services and cost.