Feature twirlers play an important role in the visual presentation of The SOUND of USD. Twirlers perform at all home games in the DakotaDome and travel to at least one away game a year with the band. Select twirlers also perform with the Sound Bites.
Interesting in twirling at USD? Submit a letter of application, a brief resume and a video of yourself twirling to music by May 1. Applications will be evaluated by the director of athletic bands, director of bands and twirler coordinator. Show how you will perform in the DakotaDome.
- Must be able to work independently
- Must be able to choreograph your own routines to assigned music
- Responsible for getting your own costume (Costume design must be approved by the director of athletic bands. A one-time uniform scholarship of $600 will be provided to subsidize the cost of costumes.)
- Must participate in all marching band activities
Skill/Trick Requirements: Prepare and record a 2-3 minute routine. The following tricks and skills must be demonstrated in the routine.
- Vertical and horizontal 2 spin
- Vertical 2 spin catch backhand (and any other variation of catch you would like to demonstrate)
- High toss illusion
- Toss leap (leap of your choice)
- Demonstrate a variety of rolls (i.e. neck rolls, elbow rolls, fish tails)
- Demonstrate showmanship and flexibility
- Demonstrate you will be able to twirl while moving and cover area on the football field
All audition materials should be submitted electronically to Todd Cranson, director of athletic bands.
Those chosen as a USD feature twirler will be notified on or before May 31. If your circumstances necessitate an earlier decision, please contact Todd Cranson. Additional information will be emailed to you directly. Be sure to see The SOUND of USD page for additional details.
Please contact Todd Cranson with any other questions or concerns.