Admission is based on talent, academic ability and potential for success in a theatre-related career.
Apply & Audition
Apply to USD
No notification of admittance or scholarship award can be made until you have been admitted to USD. Early application enhances opportunities for scholarships and graduate assistantships. While it is recommended that you apply by Jan. 15, we accept undergraduate applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. Graduate student applications are preferred by March 15.
Helpful information for the application process:
We recommend a campus visit to interview with faculty, tour facilities, meet students and, when possible, see a production. If you prefer to audition/interview on campus without submitting materials online via ACCEPTD, please contact:
- Undergraduate - Matt Nesmith (Matthew.Nesmith@usd.edu), 605-658-3496
- Graduate - Raimondo Genna (Raimondo.Genna@usd.edu), 605-658-3486
We have partnered with ACCEPTD, an online service that makes it possible for us to preview your audition and application materials. The upload fee is $25 payable to ACCEPTD.
Audition & Interview Requirements
All applicants should include a headshot/photo and resume.
- B.F.A. Acting: Two contrasting one-minute monologues
- B.F.A. Design/Technology: Portfolio featuring examples of creative and/or technical work
- B.F.A. Musical Theatre:
- 16-32 bars from two contrasting songs (one up-tempo musical theatre song and one musical theatre ballad)
- One one-minute contemporary monologue
- B.F.A. Theatre: Follow instructions for either Acting or Design/Technology
- All applicants should include a resumé, three letters of recommendation and a statement of professional objectives
- M.F.A. Design/Technology: Portfolio featuring examples of creative and/or technical work
- M.F.A. Directing:
- Written statement of directorial approach to a full-length play
- Sample pages (scene) from a work script/promptbook
- If available, video from a scene directed