Skip to main content

Welcome, Class of 2023. You'll find information below about your admission to the occupational therapy program.

USD Email and Registration Account Access

You will want to access your USD email account and begin using that account for USD-related activities. Beginning June 1, all correspondence and reminders coming from our office will be routed through your email.

A new online tool has been released to provide you access to registration, tuition payments and notifications, course listings, unofficial transcripts and other facets of your academic career at USD. You can access Self-Service on the main page of the . Instructional videos to help you with the registration process can be found at Registration will be available for new students in mid-April.

Proof of Physical Examination

Students will need to submit a physical verification form signed by their physician prior to beginning the program. This form needs to be submitted to USD Student Health by June 1.

USD Student Health Services
Sanford Vermillion Clinic
Attn: Patty Waage
20 S. Plum St.
Vermillion, SD 57069


All the immunizations discussed in the above policy are required. The immunization form and documentation of all immunizations need to be completed by June 1. The TB 2 step testing will be completed once you arrive on campus and is not required by the June 1 deadline. You can scan your immunizations and email them to or mail copies to:

USD Student Health Services
Sanford Vermillion Clinic
Attn: Patty Waage
20 S. Plum St.
Vermillion, SD 57069

All of your immunizations, with the exception of a 2020 flu shot and TB 2 step, must be completed prior to the start of classes, including titers. Providing a date when you had the chicken pox will not replace getting a varicella titer. The titers are required to prove your immunity.

The HepB immunization series takes six months to complete so immediate attention to these required immunization is necessary. You will be able to start classes if you have the first two HepB immunizations and are not yet due for your third immunization. You must be current in the series in order to begin classes.

As an incoming OT student, you are allowed to use the services offered by USD Student Health to obtain your required immunizations. If you would like to use their services, call 605-677-3700 to set up an appointment. You can find a price list for these immunizations on the Student Health website. When making your appointment, you will need to let the receptionist know that you are an incoming OT student. The clinic will be provided with a list of incoming student names. Some clinical rotation sites you will be assigned to may require additional immunizations and inoculations. You will be given access to that information during the fieldwork portion of the curriculum.

CPR Certification

You must complete a CPR course by July 1, 2020. You will need to complete a course equivalent to BLS/CPR for Healthcare (American Red Cross) or BLS Provider/Healthcare Professional (American Heart Association). Only American Red Cross or American Heart Association certifications will be accepted and the certification course must have been completed as an in-person class with hands-on techniques. Please note that the standard CPR course used for lifeguarding does not qualify. Your CPR certification must be valid through June 30, 2021. In order to verify that you have completed this course, we will need to have a copy of your signed certification card sent to us. You may fax, email or send a copy through the mail. If you choose to mail your documentation, please use the address indicated for the immunizations above. You can find a list of area classes by visiting the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross websites. Vermillion EMS typically schedules BLS Provider CPR on alternate months at the Vermillion Fire Station. If you are interested in attending any of their scheduled classes, please visit their website to register. You will be required to pay the registration fee prior to the class.

Final Transcripts

You will need to submit an official transcript by July 1, 2020 for any coursework completed or degree received after you submitted your application. The transcript must be official with your degree recorded on it. You will want to check with your school's registrar's office to see when degrees will be posted. These may not be ready for up to a month after you graduate. You will need to have the transcripts mailed directly to:

University of South Dakota
Graduate School Admissions
Attn: Nicole Jorgensen
414 E. Clark St.
McKusick Tech Room 211
Vermillion, SD 57069

If your college/university sends their transcripts as a PDF file, you will need to send them to

**You will not need to request transcripts if you attended one of the public universities within the South Dakota regental system. These include USD, Black Hills State University, Dakota State University, Northern State University, South Dakota State University, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology or the University Center. The Graduate School can have these transcripts printed internally and will do so once degrees are recorded.

Student Insurance

Student Health Insurance

Students enrolled in the Health Affairs graduate professional programs are required to carry health insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the minimum standards outlined below. These students must provide proof of credible coverage meeting minimum coverage standards at the beginning of each academic year. Student enrolled in Health Affairs undergraduate professional programs are required to carry health insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the minimum standards outlined below, at the beginning of the semester in which they will engage in clinical experiences. Health insurance coverage is a requirement of the Affordable Care Act, each academic program's accreditation standards, and through affiliation agreements with clinical rotation sites. Students who are unable to provide or have not provided sufficient proof of credible coverage meeting minimum standards will not be allowed to participate in clinical rotations or experiences.

Minimum coverage requirements are:

  • Nationwide coverage
  • Insurance must contain provisions for mental health and chemical dependency coverage
  • Insurance must not have a deductible higher than $9, 000 or out of pocket maximum higher than $9,000

Note: Exceptions to the minimum requirements may be temporarily granted on an individual basis with the approval of the Dean of Medical Student Affairs or the appropriate Health Sciences Department Chair.

Examples of acceptable coverage may include but are not limited to:

  • Group plans where student is a dependent of a parent or spouse
  • Tricare
  • Medicaid
  • Coverage through the marketplace. South Dakota companies participating in the marketplace include Avera Health Plans and Sanford Health Plans.

You will be required to show proof of insurance by bringing in a copy of your card to the Department of Occupational Therapy office in Sanford Coyote Sports Center A375A. The administrative staff request that this be done during orientation week, each January, and each June.

Student Liability/Malpractice Insurance

You are required to have liability insurance for your clinical experiences and you will be covered under a group policy that the department obtains. The premium payment will be added to your tuition and fee billing each fall semester. The amount will be approximately $11 each year.