Our Occupational Therapy Scholar Program allows undergraduate students, beginning in the sophomore year, to apply for acceptance into the occupational therapy program while completing an undergraduate degree. OT Scholars are guaranteed a seat in the OT program the fall semester after they complete their undergraduate degree.
Students who are enrolled in universities in South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Montana or Wyoming may apply during their sophomore or junior year of undergraduate studies. Students may apply from Feb. 1 of their sophomore year to April 1 of their junior year of college. The application will consist of the same format (application form, pre-professional information, observation hours, three letters of reference, GRE scores and transcripts of work completed) as a traditional applicant. Interviews will be scheduled for qualified applicants.
Occupational Scholar Program Criteria
To be considered for the OT Scholar program, applicants must meet the following:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 (as calculated by OTCAS) based on a 4.0 scale
- Minimum science prerequisite GPA of 3.2 (as calculated by OTCAS) based on a 4.0 scale
- No grade below "B-" in prerequisite courses
- Minimum of 40th percentile rank for verbal GRE score
- Minimum of 45th percentile rank for quantitative GRE score
- Minimum GRE analytical writing score of 4.0
If an applicant is accepted under the OT Scholar program, they must maintain a 3.5 cumulative GPA, a 3.5 prerequisite GPA, and a 3.2 science prerequisite GPA to guarantee their position in the class.
Accepted OT Scholar Applicants
Accepted applicants will be assigned a faculty advisor from the Department of Occupational Therapy. Students will be required to contact their adviser during the spring semester of each year to document satisfactory progress toward completion of prerequisite requirements, including coursework and volunteer/observation experience. A copy of grades and planned course of study will be maintained on each student in this program. All prerequisite courses and the bachelor's degree must be completed by June 1 of the year of admission to the occupational therapy program.
Students accepted into the Occupational Therapy Scholar Admission program agree to do the following:
- Contact their assigned advisor each year (each fall or each spring) to:
- Update coursework completed
- Update contact information
- Ensure maintenance of academic performance (GPA) as specified to remain in the program.
- Satisfactorily complete their undergraduate degree, using the above-listed criteria, no later than June 1 prior to entry into the professional program.
- Provide a non-refundable deposit to the occupational therapy program within 2 weeks of scholar program acceptance notification.
Other conditions apply to these special admission procedures. For more information, contact us.