Welcome, Class of 2021. You'll find information below about your admission to the physical therapy program.

Email and WebAdvisor Account Access

You will want to access your USD email account and begin using that account for USD-related activities. Beginning June 1, all correspondence and reminders from the physical therapy office will be routed through your USD email.

WebAdvisor is the online tool providing you access to SDePay (tuition payments and notifications), course listings, unofficial transcripts and other facets of your academic career at USD. You will want to set up your WebAdvisor access after you have your email account established.


All the immunizations discussed in the above policy are required. The immunization form and documentation of all immunizations need to be completed by June 1. You can scan your immunizations and email them to Rita.Humphrey@usd.edu, fax to 605-658-5637 (attn: Rita) or mail copies to:

University of South Dakota
Physical Therapy Program
Attn: Rita Humphrey
414 E. Clark St.
Sanford Coyote Sports Center A375A
Vermillion, SD 57069

All your immunizations, with the exception of a 2018 flu shot, must be completed prior to the start of classes, including titers. Providing a date when you had the chicken pox will not replace getting a varicella titer. The titers are required to prove your immunity.

The HepB immunization series takes six months to complete, so immediate attention to these required immunizations is necessary. You will be able to start classes if you have the first two HepB immunizations and are not yet due for your third immunization. You must be current in the series in order to begin classes.

As an incoming PT student, you are allowed to use the services offered by USD Student Health to obtain your required immunizations. If you would like to use their services you are asked to call 605-677-3700 to set up an appointment.

Student Health Discounted Services

When making your appointment, inform the receptionist that you are an incoming PT student. The clinic will be provided with a list of incoming student names. Some clinical rotation sites you will be assigned to may require additional immunizations/inoculations. You will be given access to that information during the clinical education portion of the curriculum.

CPR Certification

You must complete a CPR course by June 1, 2018. You will need to complete a course equivalent to BLS/CPR for Healthcare (American Red Cross) or BLS Provider/Healthcare Professional (American Heart Association). Only American Red Cross or American Heart Association certifications will be accepted and the certification course must have been completed as an in-person class with hands-on techniques. Please note that the standard CPR course used for lifeguarding does not qualify. Your CPR certification must be valid through June 30, 2019. In order to verify that you have completed this course, we will need to have a copy of your signed certification card sent to us. You may fax, email or send a copy through the mail. If you choose to mail your documentation, use the address indicated for the immunization above. You can find a list of area classes by visiting the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross websites. Vermillion EMS typically schedules BLS Provider CPR on alternate months at the Vermillion Fire Station. If you are interested in attending any of their scheduled classes, please visit the Vermillion Fire Station website to register. You will be required to pay the registration fee prior to the class.

Student Insurance

Student Health Insurance

Students enrolled in the Health Affairs graduate professional programs are required to carry health insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the minimum standards outlined below. These students must provide proof of credible coverage meeting minimum coverage standards at the beginning of each academic year. Students enrolled in Health Affairs undergraduate professional programs are required to carry health insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the minimum standards outlined below, at the beginning of the semester in which they will engage in clinical experiences. Health insurance coverage is a requirement of the Affordable Care Act, each academic program's accreditation standards, and through affiliation agreements with clinical rotation sites. Students who are unable to provide or have not provided sufficient proof of credible coverage meeting minimum standards will not be allowed to participate in clinical rotations or experiences.

Minimum coverage requirements are:

  • Nationwide coverage
  • Insurance must contain provisions for mental health and chemical dependency coverage
  • Insurance must not have a deductible higher than $7,500 or out of pocket maximum higher than $7,500

Note: Exceptions to the minimum requirements may be temporarily granted on an individual basis with the approval of the Dean of Medical Student Affairs or the appropriate Health Sciences Department Chair.

Examples of acceptable coverage may include but are not limited to:

  • Group plans where student is a dependent of a parent or spouse
  • Tricare
  • Medicaid
  • Coverage through the HealthCare.gov marketplace. South Dakota companies participating in the marketplace include Avera Health Plans and Sanford Health Plans.

You will be required to show a proof of insurance by bringing in a copy of your health insurance card to the physical therapy office in Sanford Coyote Sports Center A375A. The administrative staff will request that this be done during orientation week, each January, and each June.

Student Liability/Malpractice Insurance

You are required to have liability insurance for your clinical experiences and you will be covered under a group policy that the department obtains. The premium payment will be added to your tuition and fee billing each fall semester. The amount will be approximately $11 each year.

Final Transcripts

You will need to submit an official transcript for any coursework completed or degree received after you submitted your application. The transcript must be official with your degree recorded on it. You will want to check with your school's registrar's office to see when degrees will be posted. These may not be ready for up to a month after you graduate. You will need to have the transcripts mailed directly to:

University of South Dakota
Graduate School Admissions
Attn: Nicole Jorgensen
414 E. Clark St.
McKusick Tech Room 211
Vermillion, SD 57069

If your college/university sends their transcripts as a PDF file, you will need to send them to grad@usd.edu.

**You will not need to request transcripts if you attended one of the public universities within the South Dakota regental system. These include USD, Black Hills State University, Dakota State University, Northern State University, South Dakota State University, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology or the University Center. The Graduate School can have these transcripts printed internally and will do so once degrees are recorded.