The Sanford Health and University of South Dakota Sports Physical Therapy Residency is accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE) as a postprofessional residency program for physical therapists in sports.
Residents will work directly with USD student athletes and work at Sanford POWER in Sioux Falls.
You will develop the skills and knowledge you need to become a competent sports physical therapist through advanced education in sports physical therapy, clinical education, scholarly discovery and stakeholder education.
- 32 hours/week at Sanford POWER in Sioux Falls
- Five hours/week at USD Athletics Department Division I student athletes
- Clinical mentoring at both sites with faculty board certified in sports physical therapy
- Sideline coverage at USD Athletics events
Leadership & Service
- Lead quality improvement initiatives
- Involvement in service/leadership at the local, state or national level
Teaching & Research
- Teach in the USD Physical Therapy Program as associated faculty, providing instruction to second-year DPT students
- Develop and complete a clinical research project under the mentorship of residency faculty, aimed at exploring and discovering new knowledge in an area of patient care in sports physical therapy
- Didactic modules are presented in a blended learning format of both online and face-to-face instruction
- Shadow other members of the sports medicine team (physician, dietitian, etc.)
- Other educational opportunities include journal clubs, symposia, etc.
Application review: December 1
On-site interview: January-February
Residency start date: First Monday in July