Traditional classroom experiences are only part of the Honors Program at USD. There’s a vibrant, energetic community of students outside the classroom, too.
Each year, we gather our first-year students to introduce all of the resources USD and the Honors Program provide. At our orientation program you’ll meet your Honors community, get connected to a faculty member in your major, and meet your Honors Peer Mentor. In addition you’ll participate in our signature First-Year Reading Project, a common read program designed to introduce you to the Honors experience.
The Honors Program offers a variety of cultural, educational, and social trips to regional attractions for a free or reduced cost to our students. Recent trips have included:
- The Sioux City International Film Festival, Sioux City, Iowa
- Stampede Hockey Game, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Opera and Symphony concerts, Omaha, Nebraska
- Upper Midwest Honors Conference, Menomonie, Wisconsin
- Plus many more sponsored programs in the immediate area!
The Honors Program is committed to preparing students for life after college. Recent professional development opportunities have included:
- Networking with prominent USD alumni
- Academic & career readiness workshops
- Weekly newsletter with scholarships, internships, and job opportunities
- Honors Leadership Program: a 5-week program dedicated to building upon the strengths of our students. This event is partnered with Student Services, the Emerging Leaders Institute and the Multicultural Leadership Institute.