This page lists the foundational documents that underpin all major assessment efforts at the University of South Dakota. These documents provide faculty, staff and students with broad perspective on the university's various assessment processes.
USD Assessment Plan
The USD Assessment Plan lays out the overarching framework for all academic assessment activities. The plan describes how the university's assessment efforts are integrated into a single, comprehensive system. The plan underscores the evidence-based, collaborative and continuous nature of the university's assessment system.
As outlined in the USD Assessment Plan, university academic departments are responsible for the development and evaluation of department strategic goals and program student learning outcomes. These efforts are vital elements of well-functioning academic units, and are featured prominently in the university's assessment management platform (Nuventive). The rubrics below outline the quality standards by which department goals and program outcomes are evaluated by the Office of Institutional Research, Planning and Assessment.
General Education Assessment
From 1998 to 2016, all universities governed by the South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBOR) administered the ACT Collegiate Assessment of Academic Proficiency (CAAP) examination as a primary measure of student achievement in general education coursework. Following the board's repeal of the CAAP requirement in 2016, the university system office initiated a major revision of system-level general education assessment procedures. The links below provide the foundational and working documents associated with the university's new general education assessment model.
- SDBOR Policy 2:11 - Assessment
- SDBOR Policy 2:7 - Baccalaureate General Education Curriculum
- SDBOR Guideline 8.7 - General Education Assessment
- SDBOR List of General Education Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
- SDBOR List of Suggested Artifacts
- SDBOR Assessment Rubrics
- USD Cover Sheet Template - Goal 1: English
- USD Cover Sheet Template - Goal 2: Oral Communication
- USD Cover Sheet Template - Goal 3: Social Sciences
- USD Cover Sheet Template - Goal 4: Arts and Humanities
- USD Cover Sheet Template - Goal 5: Mathematics
- USD Cover Sheet Template - Goal 6: Natural Sciences
- USD General Education Assessment Handbook
- USD Faculty Instructions Handout
- USD Faculty Orientation Video
SDBOR policy requires all degree programs in the university system to undergo a substantive program review every seven years. The SDBOR policy 2:11 spells out the requirements and procedures associated with this review process for all degree programs at the University of South Dakota. The originating board policy is provided for general reference.