The goal of the Basic Biomedical Sciences Imaging Core is to provide researchers with access to microscopy instrumentation. With a range of digital imaging microscopy systems, the Imaging Core offers various optical microscopes for slide and cellular biological imaging.
How It Works
The microscopes in the Imaging Core may be used independently by researchers. For imaging inquiries, contact Scott.Pattison@usd.edu.
Access to the microscopes are on a first-come, first-served basis and must be reserved through the Booked electronic scheduling platform.
All USD and USD-affiliated researchers may use the facility at no charge. External rates may apply for outside entities. Data and image storage is the responsibility of the researcher.
Olympus Fluoview FV1000 confocal laser-scanning biological microscope on an automated upright BX61 microscope base.
- FV10-ASW Software version 3.01
- Three-channel imaging capability
- Transmitted light detector for brightfield imaging
Available Plan Apochromat Objectives
- 10X, 0.4NA, air
- 20X, 0.8NA, oil
- 40X, 1.0NA, oil/iris
- 60X, 104NA, oil
- 100X, 1.35NA, oil/iris
- Diode lasers (405 and 635 nm)
- Multi-line Argon lasers ( 458 nm, 488 nm, 515 nm)
- Hene (G) laser (543 nm)
Leica Stereo Microscope
Leica M165FC with a DFC 310FX camera.
- Manual stage with rail system
- Zoom range of 20.5:1 with resolved structure size of 472 nm
Zeiss Axiovert Inverted Epifluorescent Microscope
Axiovert 200M Inverted Microscope
- Motorized stage
- Used for the examination of tissue and cell cultures and of sediments in culture flasks, Petri dishes, microtiter plates, slides, etc. in transmitted and reflected light
- Enables these transmitted-light techniques: bright-field, phase contrast, differential interference contrast and VAREL contrast, and the epi-fluorescence technique
- Axiovision imaging software
|Plan-Neofluar 5X||0.16||Air||Fluorescence, DiC, Brightfield, Phase|
|Plan-Apochromat 10X||0.45||Air||Fluorescence, DiC, Brightfield|
|Plan-Apochromat 20X||0.8||Air||Fluorescence, DiC, Brightfield|
|LD Plan-Neofluar 20X Corr Ph2||0.4||Air||Fluorescence, DiC, Brightfield, Phase, Correction collar for examing cells in culture plates and specimens under a cover glass|
|LD Plan-Neofluar 40X Corr Ph2||0.6||Air||Fluorescence, DiC, Brightfield, Phase, Correction collar for examining cells in culture plates and specimens under a cover glass|
Zeiss Upright M-1 Imager
Axio Imager Upright Microscope
- Differential interference contrast (DIC)-optical microscopy technique to enhance the contrast in unstained, transparent samples
- Motorized stage
- Considered a true reflected-light microscope
- Designed for biology and medicine applications for the examination of blood and/or tissue specimens or may also be used for materials examination
- Axiovision 4.8 software