We offer students learning opportunities in Pillar 2 and Pillar 3 through preceptorships/miniblocks, longitudinal integrated clerkships or Frontier And Rural Medicine, cultural immersion, rural medicine, emergency medicine and electives including but not limited to health care for the underserved and sports medicine.
- To introduce medical students to the discipline and specialty of family medicine and to family physicians.
- To provide quality, affiliated family medicine residency programs, which prepare graduates for practice in both rural and urban settings.
- To provide excellent teachers, mentors, role models and advisors for our students and residents.
- To promote family medicine as a career choice for students and provide support and appropriate counseling in this regard.
- To demonstrate the importance of continuing, comprehensive and coordinated patient care.
- To emphasize the biopsychosocial model of health care.
- To provide students with personal experience in the practice of rural medicine.
- To teach key concepts in preventive medicine, emergency medicine, geriatrics, nutrition, professionalism and ethics.
Courses, Clerkships and Electives
- Clinical Foundations of Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Rural Family Medicine
- Family Medicine Sub-Internship (Sub-I)
- Healthcare for Underserved
- Sports Medicine
- Research in Family Medicine I and II
- Focus on Family Medicine
- Native American Healthcare
- Chronic Pain and Drug Dependent
- Health Policy and Physician Leadership
- One Health