- Review the eligibility requirements to attend the USD Sanford School of Medicine.
- Submit application to AMCAS between June 1 and November 1. The primary application includes MCAT scores, your academic record, a personal statement and biographic information
- Arrange to take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) within three years of the application deadline and no later than November 1 of the year prior to enrolling. Scores from the MCAT are submitted to AMCAS
- Submit official transcripts from the registrar of each college or university attended to AMCAS. When AMCAS has verified your coursework, your application will be transmitted to the medical school(s) you've designated
AMCAS will notify you once your application is verified. Once the school receives a verified AMCAS application, admissions staff will screen the verified application is then screened by the admissions staff to determine whether you:
- Are a permanent resident or citizen of the U.S.
- Are a South Dakota resident or have strong ties to South Dakota
- Have completed the prerequisites
- Have taken the MCAT at least once with scores no older than Nov. 1, 2016 and no later than Nov. 1, 2019 for the 2020 entering class
You will then be notified by the Sanford School of Medicine that you either do not meet the criteria for further consideration or are invited to submit a supplemental application.
Supplemental Information (If Requested)
Submit a supplemental application only if requested by the admissions office. If you meet the above requirements, you will be sent an email invitation to submit the supplemental application materials, which include:
- Online supplemental application
- Requests for letters of recommendation
- Non-refundable $40 application fee
When all supplemental information is received, the admissions office will review these materials along with your primary AMCAS application to determine whether you will be invited to interview.
- Residents of South Dakota are granted an opportunity to interview. Non-residents with strong ties to the state are reviewed for possible invitation to interview
- Interviews are conducted open file by two members of the admissions committee
Letters of Recommendation
USD Sanford School of Medicine participates in the AMCAS Letter Writer Service. Send all letters of recommendation directly to AMCAS.
Applicants who are invited to submit letters of recommendation should follow these guidelines:
- Three individual recommendations or:
- Evaluation materials/packet from a structured pre-medical committee with at least three contributing members on the pre-medical committee
You should submit no more than four recommendation letters. Letter-writers may submit letters to AMCAS after you have submitted your AMCAS application.
It is your responsibility to verify that all application materials, especially letters of recommendation, have been received by the USD Sanford School of Medicine admissions office by the deadline.
Following the interview, the admissions committee will evaluate all components of the completed application and makes a decision at the next scheduled committee meeting. Recommendations for acceptance may be made after any of the meetings. If not accepted, the applicant is "pended" until the final meeting for the year. At the final meeting, the class will be filled, a ranked alternate list is made and decisions for non-acceptance are finalized.
Review requirements for the M.D. application with the following differences:
- File an application with AMCAS between June 1 and November 1 of the year before you wish to enter the M.D./Ph.D. program of study. Be sure to select the radio button for the combined M.D./Ph.D. program. This will provide access to questions specific to the physician scientist program that must be answered for consideration in this program
- We will contact you regarding interviews after we have reviewed your completed application
- Interviews will take place October through December