The Geriatrics Fellowship has a strong tradition of scholarly activity from both its fellows and faculty. Fellows are encouraged to pursue academic pursuits and are given time and resources to do so.
The Geriatrics Fellowship sponsors an annual symposium every summer. The information for 2018 is forthcoming.
Publications and Research
David Sandvik, M.D., FACP, C.M.D.
- Sandvik D, Keegan J.M. HINI Influenza in Elderly Nursing Home Residents, Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. Volume 11, Issue 1, p11-12 (January 2010)
- Sandvik D, Bareis R, Jerde O.M. What's New with the Old? An Educational and Problem-Solving Tool, Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. Volume 4, Issue 12, p354-363 (December 1996)
David Brechtelsbauer, M.D., C.M.D.
- Rakel's TEXTBOOK OF FAMILY MEDICINE Seventh Edition 2007, Chapter 62: Dementia, co-author with David A. Smith M.D.
- Brechtelsbauer D, Caring for Families, In P.A. Fenstemache and P. Winn (eds.), Long-Term Care Medicine, Humana Press, 2010, In Press.
Frederic Harold Thanel, M.D., M.P.H.
- Prostate Cancer Screening: What's a Fellow to Do? FH Thanel, MK Huntington, South Dakota Medicine, Special Edition 2010 "Burden of Four Major Cancers" p. 41
- FH Thanel, MK Huntington, Rational Screening Strategies, South Dakota Medicine, In Press, November 2010.