VERMILLION, S.D. -- The University of South Dakota is preparing for its 99th annual Dakota Days Homecoming traditions, Sept. 29 – Oct. 5. After a memorable 150th anniversary in 2012, the executive team began planning Dakota Days with the help of the USD student body.
Co-chairs Ashley Cook and Amos Meyer sought student opinion for the 2013 Dakota Days theme. Using social media and the USD web page, suggestions were submitted with “Pride on the Prowl” selected to represent the University of South Dakota this year.
Activities are under the direction of Events Directors Cassondra Keller and Carrie Wintle, who are also coordinating entertainment options with the Campus Activities Board. Courtney Solma and Taylor Vavra, coronation co-chairs, are actively seeking nominations for the royalty court. Solma and Vavra are also bringing back the “Little Miss and Mr. Dakota Days” competition that will involve local second grade students. As the date approaches, applications for entering a float in the parade and marching band forms will be available online at www.usd.edu/dakotadays.
Current schedule of events for Dakota Days 2013
- Sunday: Dance at 7 p.m., MUC Ballroom
- Monday: Dakota Days T-shirt and Giveaways from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., MUC; Blood Drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., MUC; and comedian Rob Little at 8 p.m., Aalfs Auditorium, Slagle
- Tuesday: Dakota Days T-shirt and Giveaways from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., MUC; Blood Drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., MUC; Royalty Reveal/Pep Rally at 7 p.m., Aalfs Auditorium, Slagle
- Wednesday: Dakota Days T-shirt and Giveaways from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., MUC; Vermtown Bash from 5 to 8 p.m. at Prentice Park
- Thursday: Dakota Days T-shirt and Giveaways from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., MUC; Fun Run at 5:30 p.m., Wellness Center
- Friday: Dakota Days T-shirt and Giveaways from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., MUC; Zumba Party from 7 to 9 p.m., Wellness Center
- Saturday: Parade (line-up at 8 a.m.) begins at 10 a.m. on Main Street; Tailgate Nation at noon; Football game at 2 p.m. vs. Missouri State (Mr. and Miss Dakota Coronation at halftime)
For more information about Dakota Days, please contact Katherine Turner at DakotaDays@coyotes.usd.edu.