VERMILLION, S.D. -- The Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (PIKE) at the University of South Dakota will host the chapter’s signature event PIKE Week of Service next week.
More than 90 PIKE members and hundreds of students and community members will raise money and service hours for the local community and people elsewhere. This year, to mark the event’s fifth year, the chapter has committed to raise $5,000 per year over the next five years for local children battling cancer. The chapter also hopes to exceed 5,000 service hours during this school by the end of the week.
PIKE Week of Service events include:
- Change for Change – PIKES will live in boxes on campus while collecting money and canned food items to raise awareness for southeast South Dakota’s homeless population.
- PIKE Cares – Join the USD PIKES in the Muenster University Center pit lounge 3-5 p.m. Monday to assemble care packages for local children battling cancer.
- Special Philanthropic Partnership Presentation – Special presentation to a local charity at 5 p.m. Monday in the MUC pit lounge.
- USD Children’s Center Celebration – On Tuesday, the PIKES will host activities for children served at the USD Children’s Center.
- PIKES in the Park – The fundraiser that benefits Cure Kids Cancer will be held on Thursday at Prentis Park in Vermillion. For $5 attendees will enjoy walking tacos, lawn games and music.
- Mercy Meals – Volunteer at Mercy Meals in Yankton, South Dakota.
- Hospital Celebration – Celebration for children and hospital staff and the delivery of care packages at Sanford Children’s Hospital, the Castle of Care, in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, on Friday.