VERMILLION, S.D. – Singers from the University of South Dakota placed highly in the North Central Regional National Association of Teachers Singing (NATS) Competition held virtually in March.
Ten USD students placed in the top five in their respective categories and will advance to the national level preliminary round.
A Vermillion high school student will also advance to nationals in the high school division.
The students advancing to nationals include the following.
Advanced College Classical Treble:
- Lauren Paul, a first-year graduate vocal performance major from Evansville, Wisconsin
Fourth/Fifth-Year College Classical Treble:
- Garrett Adam, a senior vocal performance and flute performance major from Yankton, South Dakota
First-Year College Classical Treble:
- Elisabeth Peirce, a freshman vocal performance and music education major from Elk Point, South Dakota
First-Year College Classical TBB:
- Brian Shirley, a freshman musical arts and business major from Rapid City, South Dakota
Upper College Musical Theatre TBB:
- Colby Stoos, a senior music education major from Sergeant Bluff, Iowa
Lower College Musical Theatre Treble: (listed in alphabetical order)
- Denisse Balandran, a sophomore vocal performance major from Storm Lake, Iowa
- Rachel Bozonie, a sophomore music education major from Storm Lake, Iowa
- Margaret Meierhenry, sophomore vocal performance major from Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Lower College Musical Theatre TBB: (listed in alphabetical order)
- Rylan Craig, sophomore vocal performance major from Vermillion, South Dakota
- Brian Shirley, freshman musical arts and business major from Rapid City, South Dakota
High School Musical Theatre Treble:
- Annika Holdhusen, Vermillion High School senior
The students study voice with Tracelyn Gesteland, D.M.A., professor of voice/opera and the Walter A. and Lucy Yoshioka Buhler Endowed Chair.
"I am so proud of everyone who participated,” said Gesteland. “In this year of COVID-19, our wonderful students have persevered and have shown fortitude, resilience and a true dedication to our art in the most challenging of times."
The North Central Region includes Manitoba, Minnesota, North Dakota, Saskatchewan, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
To learn more about the competition, visit www.nats.org/competitions.html.