I am a broadly trained microbiologist and medical entomologist. My long-term goal is to contribute to the development of novel chemical and biological interventions to reduce the burden of insects and insect-borne infections on global public health through an integrative understanding of insect-bacterial interactions. My laboratory investigates several disease vectors, urban pests, and model insects. We employ diverse approaches and tools drawing from the disciplines of microbiology, insect physiology, and molecular cell biology. Specific research interests include: the dynamics of bacterial pathogen transmission by insects, the effects of the gut microbiota on insect physiology, insect immunity, emerging vector-borne pathogen surveillance, and the use of entomopathogens to control public health pests.
- Ph D, Microbiology, Vector-Borne Disease, University of California, Davis, 2015
- BS, Cell Biology, University of California, Davis, 2010
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Black, Holly H., Potts, Rashaun, Fiecthner, Jayden, Pietri, Jose, and Britten, Hugh. Establishment of Amblyomma americanum populations and new records of Borrelia burgdorferi-infected Ixodes scapularis in South Dakota. Journal of Vector Ecology, 2021.
- Potts, Rashaun, Peta, Vincent, Agany, Diing D. M., Gnimpieba, Etienne, Cooper, Richard, Wang, Changlu, and Pietri, Jose. Molecular analysis of the blood meals and bacterial communities of bed bugs (Cimex lectularius L.) to assess interactions with alternative hosts, 1209-1217. Vol. 120, Iss. 4 PARASITOLOGY RESEARCH, 2021. (DOI: 10.1007/s00436-021-07079-x)
- Agany DDM, Pietri, Jose, and Gnimpieba, Etienne. Assessment of vector-host-pathogen relationships using data mining and machine learning., 1704-1721. Vol. 18 Computational and structural biotechnology journal, 2020. (DOI: 10.1016/j.csbj.2020.06.031)
- Pietri, Jose, Yax, Justin J., Agany, Diing D. M., Gnimpieba, Etienne, and Sheele, Johnathan J.. Body lice and bed bug co-infestation in an emergency department patient, Ohio, USA. Vol. 19 IDCASES, 2020. (DOI: 10.1016/j.idcr.2020.e00696)
- Agany, Diing D. M., Potts, Rashaun, Hernandez, Jose L. Gonzalez, Gnimpieba, Etienne, and Pietri, Jose. MICROBIOME DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HUMAN HEAD AND BODY LICE ECOTYPES REVEALED BY 16S RRNA GENE AMPLICON SEQUENCING, 14-24. Vol. 106, Iss. 1 JOURNAL OF PARASITOLOGY, 2020. (DOI: 10.1645/19-132)
- Gnimpieba, Etienne, Pietri, Jose, and . MICROBIOME DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HUMAN HEAD AND BODY LICE ECOTYPES REVEALED BY 16S rRNA GENE AMPLICON SEQUENCING. Journal of Parasitology.