Entering Mentoring Workshop
Success in college is strongly influenced by the quality of faculty mentoring that students receive and this is especially students from under-represented groups. Therefore, each spring semester the USD-HHMI Inclusive Science Initiative and the Center for Teaching and Learning hold the "Entering Mentoring Workshop, a Faculty Mentoring Workshop" for faculty, staff and graduate students. The program consists of 10, 45 minute weekly sessions of facilitator-guided training on best practices for being a mentor at the university level using the curriculum developed by the nationally-recognized National Research Mentorship Network (NRMN; https://nrmnet.net). These faculty mentoring or "train-the-trainer" programs benefit the faculty mentors and their student mentees as well as the institution as a whole by both increasing faculty and student productivity and student recruitment and retention. This is the second year the entering mentoring workshop has been provided. Previous participants reported significant improvements in their mentoring skills.
- Sessions begin: January 15-16
- Sessions available: Tuesdays 9 - 10 a.m. and Wednesdays 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- Location: MT 110
Participants who attend 8 of the 10 workshops will receive a Statement of Achievement in Mentoring and will be recognized as a Student Advocate.
- Week 1: Introduction to Mentor Training Program
- Week 2: Aligning Expectations
- Week 3: Promoting Professional Development
- Week 4: Maintaining Effective Communication
- Week 5: Addressing Equity and Inclusion
- Week 6: Addressing Inclusion at USD/Multi-Culturalism vs. Color-Blind Approaches
- Week 7: Assessing Understanding
- Week 8: Fostering Independence
- Week 9: Cultivating Ethical Behavior
- Week 10: Articulating Your Mentoring Philosophy and Plan
Workshops on Inclusive Teaching Practices
This USD ISI hosts workshops using outside experts on how faculty to incorporate inclusive teaching practices into their science courses. If you have someone from your discipline that you would like to come to USD and give a workshop, please feel free to contact us.
Also the USD ISI will hosts smaller monthly workshops where faculty can come in a test out a specific practice or content meant to add inclusiveness to their class. Contact the ISI for details on the time and place.