The ideal candidate will be an experienced leader with a demonstrated track record of providing strategic vision and leading institutional growth with strong interpersonal skills. USD is a liberal arts-focused research university, and candidates should have an appreciation for the wide range of programs offered across campus.
The president of USD will be a key leader and visible ambassador in the local community and be expected to be a visible, active participant in town and gown relations. Candidates should be externally focused with a history of successful fundraising. The president should also be accessible to students and highly engaged in campus events.
It will be important that the incoming president has a demonstrated commitment to shared governance and the democratic process. A collaborative and transparent approach will be key to success.
Qualities & Characteristics
Strong candidates will have many of the following qualities and characteristics:
- Ability to lead a high functioning executive team capable of making decisions in the best interests of the entire university
- Strong track record of academic excellence
- High level of emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills
- Student-oriented; committed to student success
- Accessible and visible
- Experienced fundraiser; demonstrated ability to cultivate and close major gifts, both in and out of a comprehensive campaign
- Ability to develop strong relationships and work productively with state legislators
- Strategic thinker; visionary and forward-thinking
- A strong command of oral and written communication, including effectiveness as an active listener
- Ability to make tough decisions in an environment of shared governance
- Ability to bring people together, make strong connections and build partnerships
- Encouraging, supportive, and positive with a sense of humor
- A deep understanding of the higher education landscape and forces that impact its future
- Transparent and communicative
- Skilled in crisis management
- Ability to thrive in a rural campus environment
- Ability to work collaboratively within a system of higher education