Skip to main content

Getting Started

I have been admitted to USD. What are my next steps?
We have developed a detailed checklist to help you get everything organized - from daycare to registering for financial aid.

Where do I go with questions regarding my military education benefits?
USD Veteran Service offices can be reached via email at or by phone at 605-677-8833.

Academic Success 

What should I do as I start classes and transition to a civilian schedule?

  • Schedule regular time to study and connect with other military students at the Student Veteran Resource Center. We also provide free tutoring, library support and much more.
  • Contact the Student Counseling Center. Services are free to all students and their staff are certified in supporting military and veteran students who are transitioning to college.
  • Request and leverage a sponsor aligned to you through the Sponsor Program.

If I have a disability rating less than 100 percent from the VA, would I qualify for disability services on campus?
Each case is unique. Often veterans with disability ratings as low as 10 percent qualify for services while a student at USD. We suggest you should schedule a time to meet with Disability Services (

How do I handle military-related absences?
We understand that you may have unavoidable conflicts with your class schedule due to military absences such as National Guard drills and VA appointments. Contact your instructor as soon as you know about your absence and communicate any changes. If you need assistance in requesting a military-related absence, please contact the Student Veteran Resource Center.

How do I get class credits for military training?
Bring your DD214 to the registrar in Belbas Center Room 212. You can also scan or email your DD214 to

Continuing Service

I am getting mobilized. Who should I talk to?
Take a few minutes to review USD policies for students called to military service, then contact your academic advisor.

I am a senior. Is it too late to join ROTC?
No, you can join ROTC any time - as long as you have at least four semesters left on campus. Call 605-677-5284 or email with any questions. We respond to emails within three working days.

If I am commissioned through ROTC, am I required to serve on active duty?
No, you are not required to serve on active duty after your graduation commission. You can commission as an officer in either active duty, National Guard or Reserves.

If I am a member of National Guard, can I still join ROTC?
Yes, you can join ROTC simultaneously as a member of Simultaneous Membership Program.