The South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBOR) housing policy states that students must live and dine on campus for their first two years in college following high school graduation. We recognize living on campus and/or on-campus dining, for various reasons, may not be in the best interest of all students. We offer applications for live-on requirement exemptions, housing contract releases and meal plan requirement releases for exemption from SDBOR Policy and/or residence hall occupancy contracts.

Live-On Requirement Exemption Application

The live-on requirement exemption, if granted, releases students from the obligation to live on-campus. Students must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Within two years of your high school graduation date
  • Taking six or more credit hours on the USD main campus
  • Have not signed a residence hall occupancy contract for the term/academic year

Housing Contract Release Application

Students who have signed a residence hall occupancy contract and wish to be released must fill out a housing contract release application. This application must be completed for all residence hall occupancy contracts, regardless if contract term dates have begun.

Live-On Exemption and Contract Release Categories

Students meeting one of the following categories may be considered for exemption from the live-on requirement or contract release:

  • Married Exemption or Release
  • Legal Dependent Exemption or Release
  • Commuter Exemption
  • Financial Hardship Exemption or Release
  • Medical Hardship Exemption or Release
  • Sorority and Fraternity Life Exemption or Release
  • Participation in University Sponsored Event (Exemption or Release)
  • Graduating from USD Release
  • Withdrawing from USD Release
  • Commuter Exemptions are only available to students who do not have a signed housing contract for the requested exemption term.

For additional information, please review the housing exemption procedure. If you have questions, contact us at or (605) 677-5663.

Apply for a housing exemption

Meal Exemptions

To apply for meal exemptions, please visit Campus Dining.