Wellness is an active process of increasing awareness and actively making choices towards a healthy and fulfilling life. This process is individualized and self-directed with the goal of reaching ones ultimate potential. Practicing wellness is affirming and encourages positive experiences.
Wellness is multidimensional, encompassing emotional, environmental, financial, intellectual, occupational, physical, social and spiritual wellness.
- Emotional: Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Environmental: Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being while understanding your impact on the world
- Financial: Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Intellectual: Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Occupational: Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Physical: Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
- Social: Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
- Spiritual: Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
Based on SAMHSA’s (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) 8 Dimensions of Wellness model.