Discover Yourself Through an Unforgettable Summer
Summer 2021 Program:
June 11 - August 7, 2021
The 7TH GEN.® Summer 2021 University Program at Crazy Horse Memorial
June 11 - August 7, 2021
A unique partnership between The Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation and the University of South Dakota.
The Summer Program of THE INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA® is a unique partnership between the Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation and the University of South Dakota which will begin Friday, June 11 and end of Saturday, August 7, 2021. The program offers the same, select freshman university courses offered on the main campus. Ideal applicants will possess the maturity to participate in a university program with an intense academic component and a structured residential component. The program has four purposes:
- to provide accepted students freshman-level university courses which meet USD degree requirements and transfer to any regionally accredited college or university, students complete one semester of college during the summer.
- to provide a program that propels students to academic success.
- to extend accepted students paid working internships at the Memorial's visitor complex.
- to further fulfill the mission of the Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation.
Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation Mission
To protect and preserve the culture, tradition, and living heritage of the North American Indians. The Foundation demonstrates its commitment to this endeavor by carving a memorial to Lakota leader Crazy Horse to represent all North American Indians; by providing educational and cultural programming; by acting as a repository for Native American artifacts, arts and crafts through the INDIAN MUSEUM OF NORTH AMERICA® and the NATIVE AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL & CULTURAL CENTER®; and by establishing and operating the INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA® and, when practical, a medical training center for American Indians.
Who is Eligible to Attend?
High school graduates from across the United States between the ages of 17-21 who will graduate from high school with a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.6 or above and have scored at least a 21 on the ACT or a 990 on the SAT for regular full acceptance. Students with grade point averages and ACT or SAT scores below these standards may be considered for provisional acceptance. Preference is extended to enrolled members of federally recognized tribes; however, the university is open to all qualified students.
Admission requirements for the Summer University Program of THE INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA®, a partnership between Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation and the University of South Dakota, are as follows:
- Applicants must be 17-21 years of age when the program commences.
- Applicants must possess a high school diploma (regular curriculum) or GED before the program commences.
- Applicants must fulfill at least one of the following categories: Cumulative grade point average or equivalent (provisional acceptance for those with lower than a 2.6); Composite ACT 21 or composite SAT 990 (provisional acceptance for those with ACT scores below 21 and SAT scores below 990) ; Rank in the top 50% of their class.
- Preference is extended to enrolled members of federally recognized tribes, however, the university is open to all qualified students.
- Applicants must possess a need for the curriculum offered.
- Complete a questionnaire on your reasons for desiring to attend the summer program.
- Applicants, if selected, must complete an in person or telephone interview with the admissions committee.
- All applicants must complete the admission application and provide accompanying materials postmarked by April 1, 2021. Applicants chosen for admission must submit final high school transcripts by May 14, 2021. (SAT or ACT scores must be submitted with the application). If the transcript reveals the student has not graduated from high school, the student cannot participate in the university program.
For 2021, up to 32 qualified students and eight alternates will be selected by an admission committee comprised of representatives from Crazy Horse Memorial and the University of South Dakota. The Application Deadline is April 1, 2021.
It's hard to explain how amazing of an experience Crazy Horse was. I learned critical skills for succeeding in college, as well as making memories and meeting people I will never forget. This experience changed my life completely and I wish I could go back and do it all over again. Ashley Ambriz, Navajo, Colorado, Summer 2014 participant